Chapter 34: Sophie POV

A/N: THIS IS NOT A DRILL CHAPTER 34 IS OFFICIALLY OUT.

Keefe's sweaty palms said it all. This was serious. Ro and I listened, not even moving as Keefe filled us in on everything, his time at the Neverseen, the Midnights, a secret organisation, planning to overrun both the Neverseen and the Black Swan.

My brain was churning with important information but one piece of information hurt more than the rest. Even though I tried to not let it. There were more important things to worry about.

"Jolie- she's alive?" I sounded hurt. But I didn't mean to be ungrateful

"Yeah-" Ro jumped in. But Keefe interrupted her a look one his face. The one where he tried to figure people out.

"Hey." He came to sit next to me. "I know what your thinking. But stop it."

He knew. He knew I was worrying the Edaline and Grady wouldn't want me now that they knew their daughter was alive.

"What if they don't want me anymore?" Voicing my concerns felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest.

"They will Sophie." He sounded sincere but I couldn't stop thinking that I might-

"I'm going to be alone. Again." My voice cracked with hurt.

"No you won't. You've got me, Tam, Linh, Biana, Dex, Marella-" He paused "Even Fitz as much it pains me to admit. But honestly? Sophie we're your family too. And Edaline and Grady would never shut you out. Jolie is evil Soph. She's been plotting this whole time. Faking her death, causing pain to her the elven community only to betray them. Grady and Edaline may not forgive so easily. Who knows why she decided to fake her death? Whose alive?"

"Yeah." I whispered, the doubt settled with Keefe's genuine words and looked to his hands intertwined with hers. "I'm being stupid. We need to hail the others. Make a plan."

But he pulled me back onto the bed.

"Sophie. Just let yourself have a minute. Not everything has to be rushed. You can be sad."

I sadly smiled. "I'm the moonlark Keefe. I can't let my feelings interfere. I have a job."

"Your just a girl!" He protested. "You don't need to do anything."

I continued to pick up my imparter to which he stole and held above his head. "No Sophie. Stop."

And unexpectedly Ro stood up. "I'm gonna leave you two to your bickering. Where's Sandor? I need to roast him on his protective instincts."

I continued to jump trying to snatch my imparter. "This isn't funny Keefe. We need a plan."

He was looking at me softly. "I have one already."

And soon I felt him closer and closer and he pressed his lips to mine. Immediately, I could feel the sparks that erupted in my stomach. The way his hands wrapped around my waist, and his body holding the weight of mine. Maybe it was the way he was being gentle, but I swore it was the most perfect kiss, not that I'd had any real experiences if we're not counting the time I disgustingly kissed my kind-of-cousin. I internally shivered at the thought.

But Keefe wasn't like that he was surprisingly, warm and kind and loyal in the weirdest ways. Even if that meant running to the enemy for your sake. The kiss wasn't that long but the amount of times his lips met mine made up for the short time. The kiss felt like a Taylor Swift song if I'm honest. Not that Keefe would know who that is.

He eventually pulled away. "That was-"

"Perfect." I finished. I smiled at him. And snatched the imparter from his hands. "Now that's settled. Let's make a plan."