Chapter 33 : Keefe and Sophie Join POV

A/N: I'm so happy, but a little sad. This is such a special chapter, but since y'all don't know what I''m planning this is gonna be especially shocking. 

AGH I WISH I DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS

WHY AM I SO MEAN TO MYSELF?!

I ALSO WANTED TO MAKE THIS CHAPTER EXTRA SPECIAL THATS WHY ITS TAKING SO LONG SORRY!

Sophie POV: 

I could practically hear my heart thrumming in my hears as she whispered something almost inaudible. 

"I like you Sophie."

The words seemed to stop time.

But he kept going

"Like really really like you. Sophie your this incredible amazing strong girl. And that's what pulled me to you in the first place. We were like two stars, destined. And I completely understand if you don't like me and that's okay but the truth has been chewing me up for years. I really like you Sophie. And even if you decide you like Fitz or Dex or whoever you may like I'll always be there, and if you decide you need space to decide then I am more than happy to comply, just give me a sign Soph. Cause i'm tired of waiting and running away because I'm scared I'll ruin the great friendship we have. " He ended hanging his head low. "How lucky am I to have someone that makes saying goodbye so hard. Sophie," He took my hands gently, softly, affectionately

"Why am I so obsessed with you?" He trembled with the next words that came out of his rambling mouth "Why do I feel a better person when with you?"

"I don't know." I responded truthfully. "I don't know. Anything." 

My head downcast, as I sorted through my thoughts in a panic. 

"Everything has led to this. So why do I feel like we're not ready yet?" I tremble. "Maybe we're too different, maybe we're not in the same headspace to do this." 

"I...know what you mean." He trembled slightly, his eyes darting slowly. 

I slowly inhaled and looked at him, trembling and all. "I don't know what to do anymore Keefe. All I've ever dreamt about is this. You, me and us. But now that it's- so real I don't know how it could ever work."

"I think we both need to work on ourselves you know?" He whispered. Almost as if not believing it himself. "We're both in such a vulnerable position. I don't know if we could compromise each others lives right now with this- with us. I mean even others are at stake here" Almost talking himself out of what we knew was all so real and all so scary. 

"I'm scared." And then I felt time just freeze. And slowly the ice melted away that had been there all along. All those years of building masks, all those years of hiding himself, of being fake, he was finally ripping away the exterior and the ice he had surrounded himself with just melted. The air around him seemed to clear, and I could finally see the real him, the scared, sad, imperfect him, the one I loved so much more than the facade he put on for show.

I looked down. I realize that elves are made up to be perfect, to be plastic and fake. But Keefe didn't do that, he and I walked this long journey together just to realize we were both imperfect together and I realise he is the only one who is real, who is real to me. He just puts away his mask when others cover themselves. I stand and embrace him tightly

"I know." I whisper.

And his layers just fade and there he is. The real him. The true him. And there I am, the true me.

And we were so imperfect together, and it all led to this very moment.

"Me too." I said

And my layers faded. And there we were exposed and broken and this time I knew being broken didn't mean I had to fix it somehow. We were always meant to be broken.