Chapter 15

At the 94th minute, Barca has a freekick. Caro and Alexia are around the ball. Either way, it'll be hard. The referee whistles and Alexia shoots. I look at the powerful shot bouncing on my crossbar, and I jump on the ball preventing Mapi from scoring. I quickly get up and send the ball forward to Lauren who replaced Pernille. I look at the younger winger running down her left wing and sending the ball in the box. Irene gets her head on it sending it at the edge of the box. The only player in the area is Erin, who takes on the volley. The ball stays perfectly on the ground finding the net. 1-1. We are in the Champions League Final. All the Barca girls fall on the ground defeated, and I run to my teammates celebrating. We all jump on Erin, who ran like a crazy girl to our bench. I take her head in my gloves and kiss her forehead.

"You did it, coño!" I scream to her.

"And you did it too! You saved the pen, I've scored!" She cries. "We're going into the final!"

"Let's end the game first girls, let's go!" Emma sends us back to the field.

I run quickly to my goal and look at the fans crying in the stand. Not quite the scenes we had last week, but I'll take that for tonight. I see our fans getting crazy and smile. We play for three more minutes, and the referee ends the game. I fall on my knees looking at the sky full of stars. I know my dad must be out here looking at me. Sam runs to me and jumps on me making us lay on the ground in tears. What a game.

"We are in the Final!" She yells.

"I can't believe it." I look at her in disbelief.

"That save, bro, that fucking save!" She hugs me so tightly I might die.

"Luce is going to hate me so much..." I realize.

"She is professional, she'll be lucky enough to have you with her during the summer, it'll be enough for her to forgive you." Sam taps my shoulder.

We get up and walk to our opponents shaking their hands. I hug Patri comfortingly as she cries on my shoulder but congratulates me too. Mapi and Sandra compliment me but jokingly threaten me to death. And then, I walk to Lucy and Keira not knowing where to stand.

"Awesome performance, Jay." Keira hand shakes me. "Best I've ever seen."

"I'm proud of you, kid." Lucy hugs me. "Best goalkeeper England could have dreamt of. You deserve it."

"I'm so sorry, Luce." I whisper in the hug.

"Don't be." She chuckles. "This is football, enjoy your wins, digest your defeats, and always come back stronger."

"Understood." I wink at her, and she pokes my cheek.

"Rachel would have wanted someone to do that to you tonight." Lucy laughs. "She knows you hate it."

"True." I laugh.

I turn around to see where Alexia can be and I spot her in the middle of the pitch, alone, starring at the fans leaving the stadium.

"She really needs someone to talk to, Jay." Lucy taps my shoulder.

"Should I go?" I wonder.

"You must go." Keira chuckles.

I roll my eyes playfully and walk to the Catalan girl. I sit next to her in silence, and she puts her head on my shoulder. We stay like that for a minute before she speaks.

"What did you feel when you left Liverpool?" She whispers softly.

"Quite hard to describe to be honest..." I sigh. "Lots of fear and pain. I didn't want them to hate me because I love the club so much, fear to fail elsewhere and find out I was just born to play for this club and not another one, fear to enjoy myself more somewhere else. But also, a lot of excitation and motivation. I wanted to prove myself I could do it, I wanted to play, to be good, to improve, to be the best, in the best team." I stop. "Why are you asking?"