Chapter 48

July 12th, 2023, Liverpool, England Lionesses' Hotel

            We arrived yesterday in Liverpool, we had one training and now, we have a free time. As it's 4 pm, it's Jill Time, and today it's Ping Pong Tournament. I'm currently playing against Keira to know who will go to the Final.

"Game point." Lucy announces.

"Jayden!" Sarina walks in. "My office, now."

"Coach, there is one point left..." Keira pleads.

"She won't be back for the Final." Sarina shakes her head. "Just suppose you're better than her."

            Sarina laughs, and we all look at one another not knowing if we should laugh at her comment or be scared for me. I put the racket down and follow our coach. She leads us to her office, as we chitchat about the training we had in the morning. We enter her office and I see Leah sitting there already. I send her a worried look and she simply smiles back at me.

"Please, sit down, Jayden." Sarina points at the chair next to Leah.

"Is everything alright?" I frown.

"I just wanted to talk to you both about some little things for the next game." Sarina smiles. "As you might know, Leah has been under a lot of pressure recently and feels like she needs rest. Therefore, you'll be our captain for this next game. I know it's a special town and a special stadium for you, I hope you'll enjoy every second of it."

"Wow..." I look at Leah to be sure I heard correctly. "Are you sure?"

"I need it, Jay..." She nods, a tired smile on her face. "And there is no better captain than you to lead us under the lights of Anfield, right?"

"Thank you." I clench my jaw before I get emotional. "It'll be an honor." I turn to Sarina.

"I never doubted it." Sarina smiles. "Also, as your first decision as captain, we need to replace Leah in the line-up."

"I see..." I nod. "What are the options?"

"Well, if we go for the traditional substitution, I make Alex start. If we want to change things a bit, I can decide to try new tactics." Sarina gives me a sheet of paper. "What do you think?"

            I look at the new tactic. 3-5-2. I'm in goal, Maya – Millie – Alex behind, Rachel and Lucy as our wingers, Keira – Jordan as 6, Katie as a 10, Beth England and Fran in front. Very interesting.

"It could be a good thing to try this." I smirk. "If we are playing friendlies, it's to try new things, right?"

"Absolutely." Sarina nods. "Do you feel ready to lead this team? There are lots of changes. You'll need to be able to adapt, think fast, and help the less experienced players."

"I understand." I smile. "I'm used to it at Chelsea. It's no problem."

"Perfect, we have one last training tonight, we'll work on this tactic." Sarina stands up. "And I count on you to show me my decision was the right one."

            We shake hands and Leah and I walk away from the office.

"I'm glad you'll get to captain us at Anfield." Leah smiles.

"I'm glad you're taking care of yourself." I side hug her.

"Take a step back to leap forward even more, right?" She chuckles.

"Well said, captain." I applaud her. "Don't spend too much time on that bench, though."

"Why?" She laughs.

"Who is going to reduce my stress during games if you're not on the pitch?" I smirk.

"Maya?" She smirks back.

"I'm not sure my girlfriend would love that answer." I joke around.

"I bet she wouldn't." Leah laughs. "How is she?"

"She tries not to worry me, but I know she is not okay." I sigh.

"Is there something we can do to help them?" She wonders.

"Beat them if we play them in the round of 16." I shrug and Leah stops.

"Wait." She stops me. "Is that possible?"

"If we end up first and them second on the group stage, yes." I look down.

"Damn." She sighs. "Are you two okay with that?"

"It's not like we have a choice, right?" I chuckle sadly.

"True..." She agrees.

"What about you and Jordy? How is it?" I wonder.

"Let's not talk about it for now." Leah denies quickly.

"Fine." I frown. "Whenever you're ready, skip."

            We keep walking and go back to our room before getting ready for the last training of the day.

That night, after I trained with Hempo on her freekicks for more than an hour under the jokes of Millie Bright herself, I feel the need to have some sister time with Rachel. I walk to her room in my PJ and my pillow under the arm, and knock on her door.

"Jay?" She frowns seeing me like this. "I've got a flashback from almost 20 years ago right now, lil sist'."

"Can I sleep here with you tonight?" I wonder with a baby voice.

"Sure." She lets me in. "What happened? Did you fight with Alexia?"

"No, not at all." I chuckle.

"Is it the nerves from playing at Anfield?" She smirks.

"Kind of." I smile. "There is something I need to tell you."

"I listen." She lays down next to me and I cuddle her side.

"Well, I've talked with Leah and Sarina before training." I start and Rachel wraps her arms around my shoulder protectively. "Leah won't start tomorrow. I'll be captain."

"No way!" Rachel excitedly exclaims. "This is awesome! I'm so proud of you, Jay."

"Yeah..." I smile.

"What's up?" She acknowledges something is wrong.

"I just wish he could have been there, you know?" I tear up quickly. "I would have wanted him to witness that moment, to see his smile in the stand, to see him sing the anthem proudly looking at us, to hug him after the game..."

"I understand, Jay." Rachel sighs. "But I'm pretty sure he'll make sure to have his VIP seat up there, right above the stadium. He'll be with you all the way. I don't doubt that."

"Are you sure?" I ask like a five-year old child.

"I promise." She kisses my hair and tightens her grip around me. "I'm so very proud of you, Jayden. I hope you know."

"I love you, Rachel." I whisper almost falling asleep.

"I love you too, Jayden." She whispers back. "More than you could ever understand."