Chapter 53

August 8th, 2023, Adelaide, Round of 16, England vs Spain

This is the day. All the tension is focused on this one day. It almost feels like the competition will stop after that game no matter what. I've received a lot of support after the press conference yesterday. Lots of players, journalists, people around football have publicly destroyed Vilda. He did too much, and he is about to pay. This morning, the FIFA and UEFA started their inquiry on him. They will be there to watch him during the game, and everything he and his staff do will be recorded and added to the file.

We are now in the locker-room getting ready. The girls wanted to do something special, so they prepared shirts with several sentences on it.

Football must stay football.

No to narcissist, unqualified, and despotic coaches.

Her dad could not be prouder.

Football with values but no fear.

Maybe I have no talent and no class, but I have honor.

We all stand with the Spanish players who suffer from their coaches' incompetence. #FreeSpain.

We all wear one, and we've made more in case the Spanish girls want to wear one too. Some members of our staffs will be in charge to give them one whenever they can. We exit the tunnel and obviously the crowd is with us. Once the Spanish girls enter, they receive a small boo but once Jorge walks in, the entire crowd starts to boo. I smirk widely at that and focus on my game.

When I walk back to the locker room, I see all the Spanish substitutes wearing our shirt and they run to me. Alexia is the first one to hug me followed by Patri and Mapi.

"I'm so fucking proud of you, cariño." Alexia kisses my neck. "Show him."

"We're sorry about what he said yesterday." Leila sighs.

"Don't worry, I take one for the team, right?" I chuckle. "Stay brave, we'll help you get out from here."

"Don't you dare lose that game, Jayden." Mapi warns me.

"I don't know what losing means." I wink at her.

"Don't get yourself hurt, hermana." Patri hugs me. "I rather have you alive."

"I'm tough." I reassure her. "And anyway, they won't get close to me."

"Are you sure?" Alexia wonders.

"Perfectly." I nod. "I'm safe."

I kiss her cheek and run back to my locker-room. Ten minutes after, we are back to the tunnel, the atmosphere is heavy, and I see Esther with an enormous smirk. We just ignore them and stay focus. None of us will enter their mind games tonight. We are playing with our new 3-5-2. Leah – Millie – Maya behind, Keira – Georgia as 6, Hempo and Lucy on the wings, Tooney as a 10, Meado and Rachel in front. Tonight, not only we want to win, but we want to destroy them. We all huddle while Leah does the toss. Once our captain is back with us, Sarina talks to us.

"Here we are, girls." She calmly says. "It's only the beginning of something, we'll have a lot of hard work afterwards. I trust you to stick to the plan, if anyone doesn't feel like playing the right way, tell me, we'll change." We all nod. "Before we start, let me tell you how proud I am of the women I have in front of me. You are all incredible athletes, you deserve to be here, and you'll show them tonight."

"England on 3!" Millie shouts. "1...2...3!"

"England!" We all scream.

We run to our half, and we get ready. We have the ball first. First mission: making them run until they die. We use our shape to find every space possible. Keira and Georgia dictate the rhythm as they like, and they absolutely destroy the Spanish midfield. We manage to find speed on the wings, and in deep with Hempo, Luce, Meado, and Rachel. It's clear the Spanish players didn't work tactically because they are lost and without solutions.

This is how around the 10th minute Lucy is found on the wing by Keira. Our right winger crosses the perfect ball in the box. Rachel cuts the trajectory and sends the ball in the net. 1-0. She kisses her wrist where she has changed the writing. She replaced the traditional 'Dad' by 'Proudest Dad'. I point at her from where I stand, and we refocus. This is only the beginning.

We can see Jorge getting mad on the side, he is walking around, yelling at his players inability to react to our play. He turns to the substitutes and whispers things to them. From where I stand, I can easily spot Nadine Kessler and the UEFA / FIFA people taking notes on everything they hear. Spain manages to have a corner. Marta Cardona takes it and I hear Jorge shout form his bench.

"Esther, ¡Ve sobre ella, dale un codazo en la cara!" Jorge says and I see the striker coming to me.

"Leah, Maya!" I warn my mates. "She is going for the elbow."

"She wishes." Maya's face turns dark.

The corner is taken and the ball flies in my area. I go for it but Esther jumps with her elbow very high. I duck my head to avoid her, making my fall look very dangerous. Still I have the ball. The referee whistles, and as Esther falls on the ground, Leah, and Maya both walk on her "unintentionally". Esther yells but no one cares.

"Keeper, are you okay?" The referee asks me.

"Almost died, but we are good." I smile.

"Number 9." The referee calls Esther. "Yellow this time but next time you're out."

"And they get nothing?! She warned you, didn't she?" Esther looks at me madly. "There is no way the ref would give me the yellow on that one and not to them. And no chance for you to duck that elbow without knowing first."

"You've got your ways, I've got mines." I smirk.

"Get back to your team, jerk." Leah pushes Esther slightly.

"Ref!" Esther yells. "She pushed me!"

"Get back to your team, number 9!" The referee warns her, and she scoffs.