Chapter 41

July 3rd, 2023, St George's Park

            Today is the day Sarina is giving the final 23 players for the World Cup. We have one last training in the morning and then, we will all have a talk with our coach to know if we made it or not. For people like Leah, Beth, Georgia, Lucy, Keira, or even me, the talk will be more about what Sarina needs us to improve, change, or do to be at our best. Younger girls like Maya, Taylor, or Laura, are in for the most stressful conversation of their lives, while older players like Jordan, Steph, or Lucy Staniforth, might lose their last chance of playing a World Cup.

            As we enter the training ground, you can feel the atmosphere is heavy. There is a lot of stress, and some girls seem to be already gone. I see Maya alone with a ball trying to focus on her game.

"Are you stressed, Ma?" I wonder while putting my gloves on.

"As hell..." She whispers. "I want to make it so badly."

"Then, make sure you give your best." I smile at her. "Stop overthinking, play like you do with United, and everything will be alright."

"The girls told me it's either me, Lotte, or Steph..." Maya looks down. "I don't want them to hate me if I make the team and not them..."

"Look at me, Maya." I tell her. "This is never something you should think about. For sure, you will feel bad for the ones who won't make it, but this is an amazing opportunity for you. You can't just blame yourself for realizing your dreams."

"You're right..." She whispers.

"Look at me and Mary." I chuckle. "When I came back, she was number one. It was just after my dad died, I was ruthless, I wouldn't have let a chance to anyone to be better than me because I was playing for him. Mary never hated me for that because I was simply better. And if tomorrow she is better than me, I'll try to work harder, but I won't hate her. It's football, that's how it works."

"Thank you, Jay." Maya smiles. "I really needed that pep talk."

"No problem, kid." I chuckle. "Now, no pressure, but I've kind of bet you'll make the team, so don't fail me."

"Never." She blushes. "I promise I'll do everything I can."

"Then, we're good." I fist bump her and run to the goalkeepers.

            We train on our side as always at the beginning of the training. Mary and I are relaxed and confident while Ellie and Hannah seem to be sloppier than usual. Since the beginning of the camp, we had an awesome atmosphere, full of laughter, fun, hard work, and unbelievable performances. But today, it seems far away. Before we head to the training game, I ask the goalkeepers to reunite.

"Girls, I get it, it's a lot of pressure today, but you need to stay focused." I say to Ellie and Hannah.

"She is right, mates."  Mary agrees. "We can feel you being stressed. But this is not going to help you, you know?"

"Just keep on doing what you did until know, you've both been incredible." I smile. "You both deserve this, and I don't want you to walk out of here with regrets. Give it all, have fun."

"Team GK, all the way, right?" Ellie chuckles.

"Until the end." Hannah nods and smiles. "Just know if I don't make the team, I'll miss you guys very much."

"Same goes for me." Ellie admits. "I won't forget the way we created this bond, the four of us."

"No matter what, we're a family." I make them huddle. "Even after today, we'll still be together, always."

"Now, let's show our players how lucky they are to have us." Mary smirks.

"Team GK on 3." Ellie smiles.

"1, 2, 3..." Hannah says.

"Team GK." We all scream.

            We walk to the training game and Sarina smiles at me widely. She looks proud of something, but I don't know what, so I smile back and chuckle.

"Okay, girls." Sarina talks. "These are the last teams before the final announcement. I hope you'll give your best for the last training game. 4 teams of seven players, Fran and Jess Carter, you'll be jokers."

"Team Red, Jayden in goals, Maya in central defense, Niamh and Lauren Hemp on the wings, Keira and Jordan in the middle, Beth England in front." Arjan informs us. "Team White, Mary in goals, Leah and Lotte in central defense, Katie in the middle, Beth Mead, and Taylor on the wings, Alessia in front. Team Blue, Ellie in goals, Millie and Alex in defense, Laura as a 6, Ella as a 10, Chloé and Lauren James in front using more the wings. And finally, Team Yellow with Hannah in goals, Lucy Bronze, Steph, Rachel behind, Georgia and Lucy Staniforth in the middle, Jess Parker in front."

"Let's go!" Sarina motivates us.

            We start to play, and my team starts against Leah's team. At first, it's games of 5 minutes each, then we'll play all on the same pitch, the team that scores, stays on the pitch. Each victory worth 3 points.

            My team plays well, Beth scores a lot helped by Lauren and Niamh's perfect crosses. Keira and Jordan are doing well in the middle, creating chances, and preventing the other from scoring. And Maya behind controls the game like a pro. Therefore, I have not much to do but I talk a lot, helping my team from my goals. After the first part of the training game, we are first with 16 points on 18 possible. Leah's and Millie's teams are second with eight points each. Unfortunately, Lucy, Georgia, and Rachel's team is last with only one point.

"Rach..." I call my sister. "What's up with your team, bro?"

"It's shit, that's all." She sighs. "Steph is lost, she can't do a single good pass, Jess is stressed as fuck, Stan is already gone back to Manchester, and poor Hannah, nothing she does works."

"I'm sorry, Rach..." I frown. "Maybe try to work things out with Georgia and Luce, find ways to play quickly the three of you, even Jess in front of goals, she'll score."

"You're right..." My sister side hugs me. "I've got a team to save..."

"Good luck." I chuckle.