Chapter 40

Leah immediately falls on my bed and I sit next to her. I chuckle at her behavior, and she puts her head on my lap.

"So, what is it?" I wonder.

"I'm tired, Jay..." She admits as I play with her hair. "I'm so happy Sarina chose you to be my vice-captain. I know you'll help me get some pressure off my shoulders. But right now, I feel like after the Euros..."

"Again?" I frown remembering the state she was in. "Did you tell Jordy?"

"I don't want her to focus on me for the moment." Leah denies. "She needs to be focus on herself to be able to make the team. I will never forgive myself if she doesn't make it because of me."

"I understand." I nod. "Do you know why you feel like that again?"

"People are getting more and more obsessed with me again." She states. "We are back to the "every move I make is a big deal, everything I say is a front-page title, every ball I miss is the biggest mistake in the world" ... I just want to focus on football..."

"What can I do to help you, skip?" I ask.

"Just exactly what you are doing now..." She chuckles.

"Well, if you just need a friend, you know you can count on me." I smile. "Always."

"I know." She looks at me. "How are you? Tell me you feel better than me."

"I visibly do." I chuckle.

"And for real?" Leah rolls her eyes.

"I feel better now that things with Alexia are official. I don't need to worry about what I am feeling anymore. It helps focusing on the game." I admit. "But I am worried about her and my Spanish friends."

"Because of their coach, right?" Leah wonders.

"Yeah..." I sigh. "Alexia is having nightmares, Patri seems dead inside, Mapi is about to quit, and I can't do anything to help them..."

"Maybe if they don't perform, things will change." Leah shrugs.

"I don't wish that..." I sigh. "I want Ale to be happy, and she won't if she doesn't perform..."

"I see..." Leah frowns. "You'll find something, Jay, you always do."

"Right..." I nod.

            As we are about to speak again, my phone rings. I look at the screen and smile immediately.

Mi Amor 🥰❤️‍🔥  is connecting....

"Hola, cariño." I smile at Alexia's face on the screen as she looks super happy.

"Hola, mi amor." I greet her back.

"How was that first day?" She wonders.

"Fun, training was hard, but I have good news." I proudly state.

"Tell me about it." She looks interested.

"Guess who my vice-captain will be?" Leah interrupts.

"Hello, Leah. Nice to see you there." Alexia chuckles. "Wait, did you say vice-captain?"

"Yeah." I grin widely.

"Oh my God!" Alexia cheers. "I'm so proud of you, babe! This is huge! How are you feeling?"

"Super great." I smile. "I know we will do everything we can to lead the team to victory. Right, skipper?"

"Of course." Leah winks at the screen.

"What about you, love?" I wonder.  "How was your day?"

"Well, I was with the girls."  She tells me. "We aren't pleased to be back to training tomorrow, but we need to act professional."

"Did he call you again?" I ask.

"Ten times." Alexia sighs. "I already want to punch him in the face."

"I would do that gladly." I laugh.

"Me too." I hear Patri and Mapi behind Alexia.

"Jay! Please, if we play against you, can you tackle him?" Mapi asks.

"I'm a goalkeeper, Mapi..." I chuckle.

"Oh, right.... Williamson, can you help?" Mapi laughs.

"I'll see what I can do." Leah smiles. "Do I need to break his leg or something?"

"Just destroy him, we'll be happy." Patri screams behind.

"We might ask Millie. She'll do that perfectly." Leah looks at me.

"They didn't ask for him to die..." I smirk.

"It's an idea." Mapi smirks back.

"Mapi..." Alexia rolls her eyes.

"Sorry, too far." The blonde girl laughs. "I hate him so much...."

"We can see that." I laugh back.

"Can I have my girlfriend back, please?" Alexia wonders.

"Wow, ever since you two are official this is all we can hear from her." Mapi rolls her eyes. "My girlfriend, this, my girlfriend, that... You better treat her well, Daly, or else I'll break you."

"Now, I am scared." I chuckle softly. "But don't worry, I'll take care of her."

"And now, get away." Alexia pushes Mapi away. "Sorry about her."

"Don't worry, she is crazy but nice." I smile.

"I miss you already." Alexia admits. "I can't wait to start the season."

"I forgot I'll be playing against you too, now." Leah sighs. "Someone kills me." She pleads.

"I can't wait either." I wink at the phone. "Seeing Arsenal players cry after the game and all..." I smirk and Leah hits me playfully.

"Be nice, baby." Alexia warns me. "You don't need Leah to cry before the season, right?"

"You're right." I nod. "She needs a friend for now."

"I have got a really good one." Leah hugs me. "Your girl is the best, Alexia. I hope you know."

"I do." Alexia agrees. "I'll let you guys sleep. I talk to you tomorrow, cariño?"

"Of course." I nod. "Have a nice night, mi amor."

"Sleep tight." She sends me a kiss and hangs up.

"You love her, don't you?" Leah points out.

"I do." I admit. "But no one else can know now. I'll need time to admit it."

"Don't worry, I've got you, Jay." Leah chuckles and kisses my temple.

"Thank you."  I hug her tightly.

            Leah goes to her room, and I fall asleep quickly.