Chapter 35

June 20th, 2023, Harrogate, Daly's Family Home

Here we are. First time Alexia is meeting my family. My mom has invited Rachel, Millie, Andy, and his wife to eat with us. It's now 6 pm, and we've just arrived. Alexia is talking with Annabel and Millie, Mom and Andy are cooking, and I am alone with Rachel.

"You look happy with her." Rachel smiles.

"I am." I nod. "She is amazing."

"And she understands a lot of things, doesn't she?" Rachel whispers talking about dad.

"She does." I clench my jaw. "It's easier to open up when I know she has been through it too."

"Should I give her the big sister talk?" Rachel jokes around.

"Probably..." I wink at her.

"So, it's serious? For real?" She wonders.

"I think it is." I smile. "I know it, in fact. She might be the one, Rach. I feel really good around her."

"How did it go with her family?" Rachel asks.

"Awesome, even her friends seem to love me. Her mom and sister are great. We had a good time." I state. "Alba gave me her approbation."

"Good to know." Rachel laughs. "Won't it be hard during the World Cup?"

"Oh, hell yes." I chuckle. "But this is what football requires, right?"

"You're right about it." Rachel winks at me. "And about what we've been talking last time? Do you feel better? Less pressure?"

"Holidays helped a lot. I feel good." I nod.

"Perfect. Let's get back to them, shall we?" She nudges me, and we walk back.

"Finally, you guys." Annabel laughs. "We were thinking you left us for real."

"We thought about it." I joke around and they gasp.

"You wouldn't dare." Millie points at Rachel.

"You seemed to get along well, we thought we weren't needed anymore." Rachel continues.

"You'll always be needed." Alexia whispers in my ear and kisses my cheek.

"You look cute together." Millie states.

"I've always told Andy you'll need someone older than you, Jay." Annabel smiles. "I'm glad you've found a good one."

"Is she already adopted?" I wonder looking at my sister-in-law.

"For me, yes." Annabel chuckles. "But we all know it's only Andy and Rachel who can decide that. Even your mom would take her in too quickly."

"She'll be happy to see you smile, nothing could make her hate Alexia right now." Rachel laughs.

We laugh at that, and Mom and Andy come back with appetizers. We have a good time around good food and then, we keep talking about everything. We sing songs and dance around the living room. Alexia seems super happy and it takes me smile even more.

"You should have seen our wedding." Annabel laughs. "The atmosphere was incredible."

"We were all so happy." Andy nods with a smile. "The night was amazing."

"I have a DVD of it." My mom stands up and puts it on the TV screen. "This is my favorite moment."

The DVD restarts where my mom last watched it. My face turns blank when I recognize the moment. I see myself on the screen. 18 years old, a bit fatter than now, awful hairstyle, awkward outfit. I laugh a bit seeing this but my eyes waters quickly as I see my dad besides me.

"Alright, this song is for you, Andy." We hear me say. "You better sing with us because we all know you think every single word of it."

"Ready, princess?" My dad smirks.

"Born ready, Pops." I smile at him.

Head Over Boots by Jon Pardi starts and we both sing in sync. We dance a bit during the chorus, and he makes me turn in his arms. Then, the camera turns to Rachel laughing her ass out, Andy and Annabel dancing together with huge smiles on their face. My mom is taking pictures and my dad sings to her. Then, the camera turns back to me. I look so happy, and innocent. When I imagined my life, my wedding, my happy times, this was always how I pictured it. But someone will always be missing... Who could have thought he would be dead now? No one. I feel Alexia's hand on mine and tears roll down my cheeks. I quickly excuse myself and walk outside to have some fresh air. After a minute, a jacket is wrapped around my shoulders, and I feel lips connecting with my temple.

"Does it ever stop hurting?" I wonder crying on Alexia's shoulder.

"Not really..." She whispers. "You just learn to live with that..."

"I want him to be here again..." I sob. "I'm tired to face it all without him."

"I understand, cariño..." She kisses my hair. "Unfortunately, there are things we can't change, and this is one of them..."

"Did they say something?" I wonder.

"Your family?" Alexia asks and I nod. "Not really, they were all crying." Alexia admits. "Seems like your mom watch this moment on repeat..."

"She always says she is scared I won't laugh like that anymore." I state. "She knows it broke something in me. She just doesn't know how much. I just always show her the strong side. Ever since it happened."

"Can I ask you how you reacted when it happened?" She wonders softly.

"Yeah..."