Chapter 22

May 28th, 2023, Madrid, Centro Deportivo Wanda

Today is the final of La Copa De La Reina, aka the last Alexia's game with Barcelona. They are playing against Real Madrid, so it'll be a good game. Yesterday, we ended the season on a bright note, winning 7-0 against Reading, and Lucy has asked me if I wanted to come to Madrid to witness one of Alexia's most important moments. Of course, I agreed.

No one knows I am here though, but Keira came with me since she is injured, so it's all good. We are currently in the VIP area trying to find our seats. Lucy told us we will be with the families, so I am not really confident. I've never met Alexia's family before, and I don't even know if they know who I am. Anyway, we are sitting alone at the moment. Some fans are recognizing us as the time pass by and I can't imagine what must be going on outside, on social media and all. At some point, I feel people filling the seats around us and someone chuckles next to me.

"What a surprise." Virginia smirks widely. "How are you pequeña?"

"Vir?" I smile widely. "It's so nice to see you again!"

"Never thought I'll see you here!" She hugs me tightly.

"I'm here with Keira." I tell her, and she raises her eyebrow.

"So, nothing to do with Ale, right?" She smirks, and I blush.

"Not at all." I roll my eyes playfully. "Don't know why you think this..."

"Sure thing, Jay." She chuckles slightly. "She will be happy. She needs you today."

"I know." I send her a small smile.

"She's right." Someone says behind me and puts her hand on my shoulder. "My sister will need you today, and next season also."

"You're Alba, right?" I look behind me. "The greatest football fan?" I joke around.

"You're funny, I like that." She chuckles. "Thank you for being here. It means a lot."

"I know what it is like. She deserves to be supported all along." I nod.

She grins widely and we see the girls entering the stadium. We all applause and the fans cheer. Keira looks at the fans with a huge smile, I bet she is exciting to be back. The girls line up in front of us with Alexia leading the team. I look at her focused face, she clearly is taking all in. Last time I've seen her play from the stand was in the Champions Final against Lyon when I went with Jill, Lynn, and Lena. She looks even more hungry, and her injury showed her she needs to play to be happy. I smile at the sight, and she somehow looks at me at that moment. Her eyes widen a bit, but it seems to make her even more confident. She nods towards me, and I reciprocate the gesture.

The game is really harsh and just like the return game in the league, Barca has been leading but Madrid came back with one goal from Caroline and one from Athenea. Sandie assisted both goals.

"You look like a proud friend, not a proud girlfriend, Jay." Virginia teases.

"Because she is not my girlfriend, yet." I whisper to my friend.

"You're still here for her, right?" She wiggles her eyebrows.

"That's why I'll be happy if she scores the winner." I wink at the Spanish girl.

She laughs and we focus back. As it's still a draw, there will be extra-time. 30 more minutes under the Bluegrana shirt for Alexia. The atmosphere is more and more tensed. There are lots of faults and cards are flying for both sides. Keira and I laugh a bit, because everyone is pointing out the English league for being too aggressive, but in reality, Spanish players are worse. The referee whistles the end of the game. Penalties it is. Surely not the way Alexia wanted to end her time in Barca.

Both teams seem super stressed, but I trust Sandra with her mind. She is one of the goalkeepers who taught me everything in summer camps with Laura Rafols and Hope Solo. The penalties start and after 4 shots, it's 3-3 after Lucy scored hers. Madrid is now shooting and it's Esther.

"She is putting it straight in the middle, full power." I tell Keira and Virginia.

"No way, it's too risky." Keira shakes her head.

"Sandra chooses her side and dives as far as possible." I explain. "Esther told her teammates since the beginning. What would you do if you were her?"

"And it's Esther, if it's risky, she'll do it." Virginia laughs.

"I hope Sandra knows." I sigh.

Esther runs to the ball and hits powerfully the ball straight forward. Sandra has chosen her side and dives but manages to put her foot on the ball, nonetheless. The ball hits the crossbar and bounces outside the goal. Sandra dives on the ball quickly. Well done, mate!

"I told you." I smirk.

"No wonder my sister likes you." Alba chuckles. "Good guess."

"Thank you." I wink at her.

"It's her job, after all." Keira rolls her eyes.

"You'll be happy if I "do my job" during the World Cup, so stop rolling your eyes." I hit Keira's shoulder playfully.

"True." Keira laughs. "Alexia is taking the last one."

"Please, be it." I cross my fingers.

We watch Alexia putting the ball on the penalty point. My legs are shaking quickly as we wait for the deliverance.

"On the ground on the left, Ale..." I whisper. "Come on, you've got this..."