Chapter 24

June 3rd, 2023, Eindhoven, Philips Stadium

Champions League Final. What a day to be alive. We are playing against Lyon in front of our families, friends, and fans. The stadium is perfectly full. Dutch people have come in number to see the game. Rachel, Millie, my mom, my brother, his wife, Leah, Keira, Georgia, Lucy, Alexia, Jill, Patri, Sandie, Virginia, Sandra... everyone has made the effort to show up. I'm not going to lie; I'm pressured as hell but it's under pressure that I am the best.

During the warm-ups, I'm wearing a shirt dedicated to my dad, and put on new gloves I've received with 'Pops' writing on them. Stuart makes sure I am ready both mentally and physically for the game. I rehearse the moves Emma and him made me learn this week. We study one last time the freekicks, the penalties, and all the dead ball Lyon could have. We know we can be dangerous on second balls, but they can be too. I'll need to be extra careful on set pieces because of Renard, and we will need to be clinical in front because Endler is a beast. Back in the locker-room, I feel Emma very stressed, and Stuart is not helping. Magda and Millie look too focused almost and Sam and Pernille are overthinking.

"You need to talk to them, Jay." Grace whispers to me. "They are all thinking too much, we won't win like that."

"I know..." I nod understanding perfectly what Grace means. "Girls. Come here!" I ask them to huddle. "I know what is on your minds. It is on mine too. But we need to stop overthinking, right now. This is one game, we can't be late, we can't miss the start of this one game. Lyon is used to win Champions League Finals, and I know some of you have a really unpleasant memory about it. They are all saying if we took 4 against Barcelona two years ago, it'll be a blow-out against Lyon. But look at us now. We've beaten Barcelona, who was your main problem since the lost final, we've outclassed everyone in our league, we play brilliantly, we are ready. I want all of us to believe we will win. We are good enough to make them fall, we are good enough to make them worry, we are going to show everyone why we are here, and why we deserve to win! Trust Emma and her master plan, trust Stuart and his endless rents about dead balls, trust Sam and her finishing skills, trust Grace and her legendary vista, trust Millie and her tackles, trust me more than ever. Because I trust every one of you to give your all and to be the best version of yourselves. Are you ready to win?" I ask and they all shout. "Let's go!"

"Thank you." Emma hugs me before we exit the locker-room. "Win it for him." She points at my gloves.

"Will do, boss." I nod.

We walk to the tunnel and the referee quickly leads us outside. It's incredible to see how the stadium is full of neutral spectators. Behind each goal you can clearly identify the clubs' supporters as they are almost 4,000 each. Flags are everywhere, it feels like the party of football, where everyone is here to enjoy and have a good time. We might as well try to convince those people that we deserve to be followed more. We do all the pre-game stuff and I run to my goal. As usual, I put my towel and bottle near the net and kiss my gloves. Here we go. The fans cheer and the referee blows.

The game is a very even one. I don't remind myself of something like this. Both teams seem to have worked a lot on the other strengths and we are doing very well at preventing them from being dangerous. I think the neutral supporters will love this game. There is intensity, duels, beautiful paths of passes, defensive accuracy... But for the moment, no big opportunities. Nor Endler nor I had something to do really. But we both know we'll need to be ready when asked.

And at this game, I am the first one who needs to focus. Lyon obtains a corner, and a lot of their players are marking me. Bacha is searching for Renard's header, but I read the trajectory perfectly and put both hands on the ball before being hit by the French player. I fall heavily on the ground making the crowd gasp, and the referee blows. I allow my team to calm down and stay a bit down. Fortunately, it was just the impact, I am all good.

We play again and try to build from behind. Guro has the ball after Magda touched her and finds Grace between the lines. The French girl turns around and shoots. Endler dives perfectly sending the ball in corner. Good opportunity. On the corner, Millie finds Endler's gloves and the Chilian girl sends the ball to Delphine Cascarino quickly. The winger runs fast forward followed by Ada Hegerberg and Melvine Malard. We are going down as only Eve and Guro had stayed behind. I give instructions to both allowing them to slow down the counter. Cascarino decides to go alone and shoots aiming for the opposite top corner. I dive and stretch beautifully to put it in corner. Suddenly the game has developed in a counter battle. Lyon takes on the corner, but no one can take the ball. Good, we can relax now. The first half ends, and we walk back to the locker-room.