Chapter 62

September 11th, 2023, Kingsmeadow

First game of the season. It feels like we've been playing yesterday, but it's good to be back here at Kingsmeadow. We are playing against Brighton and it's going to be hard since half the girls haven't played a friendly since we are back. Last week, Alexia played her first twenty minutes during our last pre-season game, and she delivered an assist to Pernille. I hope it's good sign for today.

This is how we are going to line-up for the first game. Since we all "rested" for the last ten days, Emma decides to go for the best XI she thinks she can put. 3-5-2. I'm in goals, Magda – Millie – Kadeisha behind, Hempo on the left, Niamh on the right (because Eve was not ready to play the entire game yet), Guro and Grace as 6, Alexia as our 10, Pernille and Sam in front. On the bench, we've got Zecira, Hailee, Jess, Melanie, Sophie, Eve, Fran, Lauren, and Beth. It's going to be interesting. I can't wait to see how we play. As we walk in the tunnel, I stop next to Alexia and hug her.

"Enjoy our first game together." I whisper in her ear.

"I hope I'll do well." She sighs weakly.

"I don't doubt about it, mi amor." I smile. "You're the best player in the World, and you're going to prove it."

She nods gaining some confidence back. I walk in front of Millie, and she massages my shoulder to make me relax.

"Let's go, keeper." She tells me. "We've got trophies to win."

We all walk on the pitch under the fans' loud cheers. All the England girls and I are applauded more than we used to, Alexia too. This is going to be our season. I know it. We do all the pre-game things and quickly huddle around Emma, who gives us a pep-talk. Then, I run to my goal and get ready.

The first half starts well for us, we've got the ball, we play well, and we find automatisms. Pernille and Alexia are getting along super easily and they clearly play the same football. Sam uses their connection to have better opportunities in front of goal, not needing to do much more than trying to score. Guro and Grace show how used to play with each other they are, and if anyone thought Grace had been majestic at the World Cup, they need to rethink. Because she is even better today.

At the 27th minute, Guro recovers a ball in the middle and lets Grace bring it forward. The French girl finds Pernille as a pivot. On one touch, Pernille finds Alexia who runs in the box before passing the ball perfectly to Sam. Alone in front of the keeper, Sam doesn't miss her opportunity, and scores. 1-0. We all celebrate. Well done, guys! We keep playing and we obtain a good freekick. Both Alexia and Hempo are around the ball. I confidently can say, as a goalkeeper, you rarely experience a more deadly situation. I watch Hempo running over the ball before Alexia shoots. The goalkeeper has moved following Hempo's run, so there is a perfect space for Alexia to score, and she does. I jump excitedly on place celebrating my girlfriend's first goal. She points at me and makes a heart sign with her fingers. I love her. 2-0.

Second half of the game is very boring for me as I have absolutely nothing to do. Eve comes in for Niamh, Melanie replaces Guro, and Beth instead of Pernille around the 60th minute. From here, I just look at my team outclassing the opponent. Sam scores twice and Hempo goes for it too with a beautiful bent shoot in the top corner. 5-0, end of the game. We celebrate respectfully knowing the season will be long. Guro, Sam, and I joke around a bit before joining our family where Alexia is waiting for me already.

"Rach!" I run to my sister. "You came!"

"Yes, we've played yesterday, I had no reason not to come." She smiles and hugs me. "Plus, it's not a day we can spend without each other, right?"

"You're right..." I clench my jaw looking at my 'DAD' print of my gloves. "Two years already."

"Two years, two trophies with England, so much more for you..." Rachel proudly smiles. "I'm so proud."

"Are you staying tonight?" Alexia wonders.

"I mean, if you have enough food, I won't mind." Rachel chuckles.

"Take Millie with you too." I laugh. "Alexia bought for a lot more than 5 people."

"I was scared not to have enough." Alexia glares at me. "It's the first time we're having your family over..."

"It'll be fine, mi amor." I chuckle and kiss her temple.

"You've scored, you're safe for tonight." Rachel winks at her. "If anything goes wrong, it'll be Jay's fault."

"See...." I roll my eyes. "You'll be fine."

We laugh all together before we head back to the locker room. Once we are back home, Alexia makes sure my mom, Annabel, Andy, Millie, and Rachel have everything they need, and I start cooking.