Chapter 55

August 12th, 2023, Brisbane, Australia vs England

The last days have been less stressful than the last weeks we had. We have been allowed to relax and focus on football, which was supposed to be our main concern since the beginning. For today's game, Sarina chose to make us start with the 3-5-2 formation that beat Spain last time. We are confident and eager to play again. We know we are playing against the host today and it won't be easy.

Australia did well until now. They've finished first in their group and played Italy in the round of 16. Sam is currently the best scorer of the tournament despite one huge miss she had during their second game of the tournament. The video has made the tour of the world and the tour of every locker-room in the world, I think.

"I still can't believe it." Sam laughs as we are doing the pre-game recognition. "They are going to laugh at me for the rest of my life."

"I can see Stuart laughing from here." I chuckle.

"If you can do the same tonight..." Millie smirks.

"No way!" Sam shakes her head. "I will drown myself in lava if it ever happens again."

"Don't be so harsh on yourself." Fran dismisses. "We'll just have to find a new striker for next season..." She smirks and we all laugh.

"I'll still be your friend, I promise." I side hug my neighbor as she pouts.

"Finally, someone loves me." Sam hugs me back.

"Don't tell Alexia though." Rachel winks at me.

"How are things going with her?" Sam wonders.

"Pretty fine, I miss her, and I can't wait for the new season to start, but it's fine." I smile.

"I warned you, you would be in love too fast." Sam laughs.

"But I'm not panicking." I point out quickly.

"Yet." Sam winks at me making me roll my eyes.

We chitchat a bit more and head up to the locker-room. We get ready and soon enough it's game time. The Australian fans are going crazy in the stand, but we manage to develop good football. Hempo is driving Ellie Carpenter crazy on the left wing and finds the perfect cross opportunity for Meado who adjusts her header for it to end up in the top corner. We celebrate with Millie, Leah, and Maya, who decided to celebrate all the goals with me now. We keep on attacking and providing good balls to both Rachel and Meado in front. We miss by three times the second goal and we are almost punished on a counterattack. Sam is running in deep followed by Mary Fowler. She uses the younger one's run to cut between Millie and Georgia, who is coming back. Sam goes for the powerful shot, but it ends up in my gloves easily. I take time to play again as my defenders are discussing some tactic issues.

We slow down the tempo of the game, making sure Georgia and Keira manage to play as they like it. The Australian girls don't put too much pressure on us, and the crowd gets frustrated. As we come back from half-time, we clearly see the change in their behavior. They get very aggressive, and they recover a lot more balls. This is how they get a good freekick around the box. Sam and Alanna are around the ball. I know the Manchester City girl is a hell of freekick taker. I adjust my position to her and pray for Sam to stay at her place. The referee whistles and I see Alanna taking a deep breath. Good. She shoots and fortunately, she hits it too low, and I manage to dive on the ball. I send the ball quickly to Lucy, who runs forward. She sends the ball to Meado, who crosses in one touch. Rachel jumps and puts her toe on the ball. It hits the post and we all gasp. So close...

The game continues and we make some substitutions. Meado changes with Alessia, Tooney with Fran, and Lucy with Niamh. It brings us new solutions and the Aussie struggle to adapt to the new tactics we use. Around the 81st minute, Sarina decides it's time for Jordan to enter the pitch. We all encourage her, it's her time to shine. After five minutes, Fran provokes a freekick near the box and Lauren goes for it. Unfortunately, she sends the ball in the wall but the ball rolls towards Jordan at the edge of the box.

"Come on, Jordy!" I yell.

The small midfielder takes her chance and shoots. Time stops and we all watch the ball going near the post. The net moves slightly but I don't see if it's in or not. I look at the girls watching Jordan in disbelief before running to her and lifting her from the ground. She did it. Leah turns to me with nothing but pride on her face. I nod proudly with tears rushing to my eyes. So fucking deserved.

We end the game with this score. We are in the semis, we play well, and we don't concede many opportunities.

"Good job, my friend." Sam shakes my hand. "Nothing we could do here..."

"You did well." I send her a small smile.

"Impressive team you have." She admits. "Enjoy the rest of the tournament."

"Thanks, mate." I hug her and turn to my teammates. "Jordy!"

"Keeeeper!" She runs to me and jumps on me. "Best night ever!"

"I'm so happy for you, you deserve this!" I smile in the hug.

"It's the first time Leah told me she loves me since we left for camp." Jordy whispers happily.

"Did she?" I chuckle.

"Told you, best night ever!" She excitedly jumps back on the ground.

I shake my head laughing at my friend's behavior.

"She is crazy." Leah chuckles with a loving look on her face.

"She is happy." I wink at Leah. "Seems like you still love her, it makes her feel like that."

"She told you already?" Leah rolls her eyes.

"She was waiting for a long time now." I chuckle.

"Thank you for taking your time with me, Jay." Leah hugs me tightly. "To always have my back and allow me to be a better player and a better person."

"Always, skipper." I kiss her cheek, and we celebrate.

Instagram

Liked by leahwilliamsonn, lucybronze and 82,409 others

jaydendaly4 Happy with the win but only one person deserves the credit for tonight 🤝🏼❤️ well done Jordy 🥰

leahwilliamsonn 🥹🥹🥹
jordannobbs My mate 🥹❤️‍🔥 thank you for all you've done 🤝🏼
mbright4 How good 🤭
bethmead_ Lovely sight 😍 best picture you've ever post JayJay 😂😂
jaydendaly4 Can't deny it 😂