Chapter 25

The second half is as hard as the first. Only Christiane and I have very much work to do. She has saved 4 opportunities, two shots from Pernille, one header from Magda, and a back heel from Sam. I've had to intervene twice in Ada's feet around the six-yard box, saved two headers from Wendie, and punched away three or four freekicks. It's now the 80th minute, Emma decides it's time for substitutions, Magda goes out for Erin. Wow, why on Earth should we do this? Erin gives the armband to Millie, but Millie runs to me and puts the armband around my arm. Our fans seem to agree with that as they cheer even louder, and I understand I need to be a leader now. For ten minutes, we attack hard and Erin almost scores, but the 3-4-3 formation also allows Lyon to have more space in front. Selma Bacha runs with the ball and as no one is near her, she decides to go for the long shot. Her try is actually unbelievable. The ball floats weirdly in the air but I manage to stop it in an even weirder manner with one hand. The ball rebounds in front of me, and I catch it. I look at the ball in my hands and sigh. This was close. The referee ends the regular time, extra time here we go.

            We all look super exhausted. We know we might go to penalties so people like Pernille, Eve, Kadeisha, Fran... must stay on the pitch. For the last thirty minutes, Emma decides to bring Jessie in for Guro, Niahm is going in for Sophie and we find back our natural shape. 4-3-3 with Eve – Millie – Kadeisha – Niahm behind, Jessie – Erin – Grace in the middle, Fran – Sam – Pernille in front. Lyon is also changing things and are lining up like this. Endler in goals, Carpenter – Mbock – Renard – Bacha behind, Damaris – Daan – Horan in the midfield, Le Sommer – Ada – Macario. Mbock, Carpenter and Macario are just coming back from injury and will want to prove things.

            The game restarts and we are under pressure almost immediately. For thirty minutes, the only opportunity we have is a long shot from Jessie which hits the crossbar. On my side, my work rate hasn't changed, and I need to save us four or five times. On the last opportunity for Lyon, they have a corner while it's already the 122nd minute. I get on the ball first two hands on it but when I fall back to the ground, a Lyon player shoots in the ball sending it to my face and letting it roll on the ground. The referee blows but the Lyon girl shoots and scores. Their supporters start to celebrate, and I stay on the ground with blood floating from my nose.

"What fault?" I hear the Lyon players yell.

"She is fucking bleeding, what is wrong with you?" Jessie tries to defend me.

"Number 9." The referee calls Eugenie Le Sommer. "I don't want to see that ever again."

            She gives her the yellow and the referee whistles the end of the game. We are going to the penalties. Damn it. The medics take care of my nose, and I must change shirt since there is blood on it. Seems like I can't finish a Final without bleeding. I walk to the bench and Stuart helps me get focused on what I must do. We've worked on penalties all week long, we have this. I do the toss with Renard, and I win the side. We'll shoot in front of our fans. They'll start shooting.

We go to the right goal, and I get ready, I'll be the first to face my opponent. Horan goes first. I know she is taking them very close to the post so either she scores or hits the post. Unfortunately, she scores but I wasn't that far. This boosts my confidence knowing my jump is good today. Our first player to shoot is Eve and she scores easily, cold-blood, top corner. 1-1. Renard walks to me and I know she has missed some. Mainly by opening her foot. From now on, all I do is made for her to open that damn foot. I gesture more to my right opening my left side, I point at my right side as if I am going there, and I stop before she goes. She looks at me before shooting and opens her foot at the last minute. I dive perfectly and save it. Yes! I point at Stuart, and he jumps around proudly. Good strategy, big guy.

Our second shooter is Kadeisha. She is used to those penalties against Lyon and shows it by sending Endler on the opposite side of the ball. Then, Ada comes and scores. Nothing I could do about that one. Fran takes her penalty perfectly. 2-3 for us after 3 shots. Griedge walks confidently to me. Her shooting skill is flawless, and I miss the ball for 2 millimeters. Damn it... Pernille takes the fourth shoot and manages to touch the crossbar but it's in. Lucky. She comes to me before joining the team.

"We believe in you, kid." She whispers. "Show them why you've got the armband."

She kisses my forehead and I take my time to walk to the line.