5. Signs of Destiny

Cassandra Reid

Romeo chatters around me as we make the rounds, but I pay him no attention. I just nod automatically to everything he says and drink my coffee. Today is Friday, my last day here and apparently it is also my last day as a doctor. Since no health center wants to risk becoming target of Gibson Reid's wrath, I will have to explore other areas.

It doesn't bother me to change the white coat for a waitress apron, however, it makes me very angry. It has been many years of sacrifice to throw them overboard just because my family has archaic thoughts from last century.

"I don't like your attitude Cassandra Reid", my partner says. "We agreed you'd enjoy this day as much or more than the first".

"From tomorrow on I'll be part of the unemployed wide world Romeo".

"And? You can not regret today for what will happen tomorrow. Take it one day at a time Cassie. Today's is to celebrate. They will surely give you a huge prize for being the best of your team"

"All I need is a contract..."

"Or a check with lots of zeros", he cuts me off to complete the sentence.

"You have more problems than me", I comment at the same time that I shook my head disapprovingly, "and I'm not referring to the economic field". I clarify in case he doesn't get the hint.

His occurrences have no limits.

"That's how you met me and that's why you adore me", he gives me a panty-lowering smile that only makes me roll my eyes. He will never give up his ridiculous intentions to seduce me. I know he just plays with me, but sometimes he annoys me. Especially if my mood is not the best, like today for example.

"I've never said such an outrage," I point out, arching my eyebrows.

"Come on! We both know one day you'll admit that I'm your man, then you will swear eternal love to me in front of God and we will get married.

"Sure!", I let out an exclamation full of sarcasm. "Our wedding will be in the Roman Colosseum and our honeymoon in Venice".

"As soon as you give me the 'yes', I'll take you wherever you want, beautiful", he plays along.

"Did I forget the part where we have a soccer team as children?", I add in the same tone.

"I think it's great. That way I'll have someone to play with on Sundays”. He smiles like the cheeky man he is and internally I prepare for his next words. "Also, the creation process will be a lot of fun".

"Pervert", I mutter between a snort.

"Sensual woman". He takes the audacity to kiss my shoulder and wink at me mischievously. He is lucky I'm used to his attitude.

"We better start our round before I kick your ass on my last day of work".

'You can do with my ass what you want, Cassandra Reid.

"Be careful what you wish for Romeo Alfieri. You can end up disappointed”, I warned before entering the first room. As it is Graduation Ceremony's Day for my class, the doctor has delegated his tasks to us as a promotional gift while he prepares his little speech.

Upon entering, I see the most beautiful child I have ever seen in my life.

"How is my favorite patient?", I ask as I greet the father with a simple nod.

Despite keeping my disturbed thoughts at bay and having rested more than usual for the past few days, I continue seeing him in my dreams. No matter how hard I try, the Italian doesn't get out of my head, nor does his seductive voice.