22. Rage

Adriano Di Lauro

As soon as the car parks, I rush towards house's entrance without even waiting for security protocol.

My instinct tells me that her attitude is related to that idiot's arrival and if she doesn't tell me, it's because she's hiding something.

I hear a noise behind me and I turn on my feet to find my wife whiter than a sheet of paper.

I see the damn phone on the floor and I rush to pick it up. So, I come across an open chat full of messages.

As I read on, rage grows until it becomes a ball too big to control.

It's him, it can only be him.

I hear my name in a whisper far away and I see everything red. I'm going to crush it, I swear I will.

I clench my jaw until it trembles as I shatter the phone with my hands.

"We need to talk" I don't like that words at all.

Yes, I am made of steel, but even the most powerful metal melts with fire and I am burning with flames.

I roar as I walk through the door and head straight for the mini bar in lounge to pour myself a cognac without ice.

I drink in one gulp, reveling in the burning sensation in my throat. I don't usually put out fire with water, but fight it with fire itself.

"Since when?", I ask going for second drink.

"It's not what it seems..."

"Since when?!", I nip it in the bud. "Have you seen him?"

"Not in the way you're thinking".

The sound of glass crashing against the wall echoes throughout the house.

"So, you did see him". I turn around to glare at her. "You lied to me!"

"He was at the party!". She stops my movements with her words. "I just saw him. I didn't know he was the one behind those messages...!". I shift my attention to her neck to see how she moves the knot up and down. "But you do. How did you know it was him?"

"Haven't you understood yet that you can't hide anything from me, cara?". I maintain my threatening position. "Nothing escapes out of my control".

"Well, you can't control me", she challenges me.

Here's my mistake: I thought Cassandra Reid would be a submissive and manipulative wife.

This was not in my plans. Now that I stop to think about it, there are a lot of things that weren't.

"What are you trying to tell me, Cassandra?". I examine her face carefully and then I find the answer. "You're not going to see him. I'm not going to allow it!"

"You can't stop me", she challenges me again. "I'm free, remember? You gave me that freedom".

"You are not going!". I utter out of myself. I've already lost control completely. "You can't jeopardize our deal, is that clear to you?"

"Like water", she lets see a strange smile. "Don't worry, I'm not going to risk your good reputation or the facade of this fake marriage... but I'm going to meet him" she declares, making me curse all her ancestors. "You may not be able to understand it, but I owe him an apology and I owe a closure to myself".

"If you go, pay attention to the consequences", I'm direct.

"Do what ever you want". A lonely tear runs down her cheek and another unknown sensation appears inside me: impotence. "I have nothing else to lose. I'm not going to live under anyone's designs again, Adriano. Please, don't become my father".

I grab her arms to shake her vehemently, unable to contain myself.

"I'm not your father! Do you hear me?"

"Right now you look a lot like him", she says with a small voice. "Let me go!"

"Never", I murmur before attacking her mouth fiercely.

I'm not aware of my own actions, I just want to possess her, press her against me so she stops running away...

Her fist slams into my chest and I pull away, taking opportunity to catch me off guard and slap me.

"You're a jerk!". She runs terrified towards the stairs. However, she stops midway to face me. "And don't touch me again!"

I take first thing I see in my hands to throw it against the ground. I can't remember the last time I felt this angry.

'Stella'

Past memories mix up with present events and my head explodes.

Dean Frost has unleashed the beast. Now he will know why people call me the Man of Steel.

I dial Pietro's phone number hurriedly. He buys the condo.

"Are you planning to go to war with him?"

"No my friend, I plan to squash him like a cockroach".

Devil has never had a chance against God, nor will he ever do it.