15. Unknown Sensations

Cassandra Reid

Some guests chatter around me, others eat or drink while children run around the garden... except Ella, the girl remains by my side contemplating the stage just like me.

"Are you comfortable, darling?", I inquire letting see a brotherly smile.

I am tense, nervous and I fear that at any moment the bubble will burst in my face. My parents smile along with my now husband's as if they were hosts of the party. It is impossible for me to see them here, satisfied, without recriminations towards me... Then I remember Adriano's words. He accomplished this. Also, Gibson and Juliette Reid find themselves in their natural habitat, surrounded by Italy's elite society.

I return my attention to the little girl, who nods in response, moving her little feet dangling from the chair.

'Why doesn't she hang out with the rest of the kids?'

"Don't you wanna play?", I ask again.

She turns her head to look at me with those pretty eyes alight with excitement. "Do I look for the Wii to show you?"

'The Wii?'

These kids urgently need healthy education and recreation.

"Daddy brought us the new Xbox Series X", she continues excitedly, "it's the best of the year and it brings a lot of games..."

"Ella...", intervenes my husband.

"Yes daddy?", she asks all innocent. It really is a cutie.

The light blue dress highlights her beautiful eyes while white flowers adorn her black hair now turned into curls. She looks like a fairy out of a storybook.

"Go with Grandma."

"It's okay", I intercede in a whisper. I'm not going to counteract the authority of father in front of children. " She doesn't bother me. In fact, her video game lecture is being more entertaining than the rest of the party."

"Does my presence bore you, doctor?". He arches his eyebrows in disbelief.

I'm sure they've given it many adjectives, but never boring. The funny thing is that if it weren't for the knot in my stomach, I would be able to enjoy his company and even strike up a conversation with him.

"Well..."

"Your attention, please". The contracted master of ceremonies appears on the scene and tension in my body increases, knowing what is coming next. "It's time for the bride and husband's first dance."

I suck in a huge breath and let it out slowly before taking my partner's hand and walking to the center of the floor as the guests surround us.

The first chords of a well-known song begin to play and I show a surprised expression on my face. Adriano, on the other hand, doesn't even flinch and proceeds to start the already assembled choreography. As always, he is in control of the situation.

"Ed Sheeran?", I ask at the same time he pushes me forward until our bodies meet, while our faces are only inches apart.

We had rehearsed wedding the day before, including this dance, but not with this music, much less with this... delivery. It seems that the cold Man of Steel has disappeared for the time being.

"I think the song is very attached to our meeting, don't you think?", He explains before turning me around.

"Perfect?". I still can't get out of my stupor. "I was hoping for something more...”. I turn again so my back is to him.