32. The best player

Cassandra Reid

My hunger suddenly subsides and I let out a long snort.

"Cassandra, honey, those are not ways to behave at the table".

I close my eyes and count to ten so I won't lose control in front of the little ones.

If Adriano had anything to do with this, I swear I won't forgive him this time.

"Aren't you going to greet us?"

Am I a bad person if at times I hate my mother?

"Taking into account that you were not invited, courtesy is unnecessary", my husband intervenes with a neutral tone as he kills the maitrê with his eyes, surely for having let them pass. His attitude tells me he didn't call them and that calms me down a bit. "I'm going to ask only once. What are you doing here?"

My mother's eyes widen as she makes a big 'O' with her mouth to claim. That's the only thing she knows how to do well aside from running charitable foundations

"How do you dare...!"

She stops mid–sentence because of my father's discreet tug on her arm.

Wow... It looks like Gibson Reid has met the match for him. It is evident that he is holding back due to Adriano's presence. I wonder what the Italian has done to put the most influential man in America in his pocket.

"I had a commitment in the city and I decided to pay you a visit", my father answers with his usual diplomacy. "We didn't get an invitation to the Resort's Opening Ceremony and I thought you missed it..."

"I don't make those kinds of mistakes, Gibson", my husband declares. "If you did not receive an invitation, it is because you are not invited".

"I'll pretend I haven't heard what you just said. We must give an image of a united and happy family to the media, Adriano". I hold on to my chair tightly to avoid jumping when I listen to him. "The campaign..."

An image, that's all he cares about. That means everything in his little world of appearances. The worst thing is there are millions of people who think and live just like him. As much as the world evolves, the social damage does not end.

"The campaign is insured", the Italian cuts him off, "that's why you shouldn't worry. You have my word, Gibson, and I expect the same from you".

So that's the secret. My husband is behind my father's campaign to run for Chancellor. Why did he do it? So that they would go to the wedding or so that they would leave me alone? My father accepted that easily?

All this leads me to the same question that has been running through my head for weeks: what was the price Dean paid for my hand? Something like Adriano's offer? I am completely sure it was not money, because that is plenty.

I remain silent, counting to one hundred, two hundred... I reach a thousand while the verbal confrontation continues with indirect threats until the kids intercede with an unexpected question:

"Can grandparents stay?

'Grandparents?'

Wine gets stuck in my throat and I start to cough to fight choke. Adriano runs to help me offering me a glass of water while Fede pats me on the back and Ella asks me if I'm going to die. All under my parent's disapproving gaze.

The scene is uncomfortable, funny and disconcerting at the same time.

"Better?", my husband asks when I manage to breathe easily.

I give him a nod along with a lopsided smile.

"I'm sorry".

"Aren't you going to die anymore?", Ella asks once again with teary eyes. Poor girl, she always thinks the same thing every time she sees someone sick. We'll have to talk about it in therapy.