26. My wife

Cassandra Reid

God! Why does he insist on chasing me? Will he ever leave me alone? I thought Adriano would keep him at bay. Where are those bouncers when you need them?

"What are you doing here, Dean?". I plucked up the courage to speak to him. "I thought everything was clear between us".

"Of course I do" although he affirms, I don't think we're talking about the same subject. "Do you remember my words?"

"Each one of them", I reply with a snort. I don't know why I feel safer now. Maybe it's because I have bigger problems than dealing with my ex's obsession. Considerations with him ended two days ago, "just as I hope you remember mine. You better get out of here before my husband breaks your other eyebrow". I point to the noticeable cut.

"Are you threatening me, Cass?"..The devilish grin on his face makes me jump and fear returns. He was already late in showing up.

I take two steps back ready to flee. Then, bodyguards finally appear, confronting Devil Frost's and causing a ruckus in the hospital corridors.

"Don't worry, I'm leaving today. Your Italian has moved his cards this time". Relief runs through my veins listening to him, "we'll see what happens when we'll be on my ground. I'll see you very soon, love. Don't miss me too much".

'God willing not'

I sigh calmly when I see him leave without question.

"By our Lord Jesus Christ, what a man!", Leah exclaims from beside me, staring at him. "If it weren't for what you've told me... I'd throw myself at him without hesitation".

"Leah!", I let out a shriek with eyes wide as saucers.

"What?" she asks with feigned innocence. "Have you seen him?"

"You're definitely crazy". I shake my head as the security guards calm the atmosphere.

"A little bit yes", she admits. "I may have inherited it from my parents. After all, a person who leaves a baby at the door of a church in the middle of Valentine's Day must not be very sane".

"Leah..."

"Well", she cuts me off quickly, since she doesn't like to talk about where he came from, "you've already been able to verify that your husband has the situation under control. Forget your psycho ex boyfriend and focus on your husband".

She kisses my cheek before we both return to our duties.

"Conquering the Man of Steel..."

It's crazy. Only Leah Falco would think of such a thing.

'It's the only way left for you', I remember our past conversation.

The rest of the afternoon flies by, but my head is still a mess.

Arriving home, I find out the kids in the frozen garden. Ella runs terrified letting out scary shrieks while her brother chases her with some kind of gun.

I stare at the scene with a half smile on my face. They have come out to play of their own volition. That is quite an achievement.

Suddenly a jet of icy water hits me and I let out a scream higher than the girl's.

"Federico Di Lauro! Can I know what you are doing?"

"Fede wants to wet me", Ella accuses him, "and water is very cold".

"You wet me first!", he protests.

"It wasn't that cold!", she defends herself.

"Yes, it was".