21. Happy New Year

Cassandra Reid

I look at him and I am not able to believe he is in front of me.

I feel a tension in my abdomen that does not let me breathe.

In the beginning I thought to be hallucinating, but he is him. The paralyzing voice, indecipherable face next to the voluminous body that makes me feel tiny and diabolical appearance of him always.

His ambering eyes observe me restless from head to toe, making me feel naked.

A little tremor is installed in my hands and intersects them so as not to show weakness I feel.

He is here! Dean is here.

"Mrs. Di Lauro, are you still there?", I hear my secretary's voice on the other side of the line very distant as well as the noise of the party. I am like in a kind of trance. "Doctor?"

I hang without even having awareness of my actions. I think I've stopped breathing.

"How...?"

"Happy New Year, Love". He doesn't let me finish. "Did you miss me?"

I want to talk, but my mouth refuses to move. What has he come for?

"I ... ". I am interrupted by my husband's call and then, I am attacked by an ice wind, which leaves me nailed to my place as a statue.

If both men meet each other, what would happen?

My teeth begin to vibrate involuntarily and I squeeze the jaw with all my strength to prevent it.

My ex follows my gaze to meet the same image as me. Then he returns to his previous position to show that smile which secludes his pseudonym.

"As much as you run, you can't escape me, Cass", he says with a tone that shudders every bone from my body. My legs have suddenly become weak and I am afraid of not being able to sustain myself. "You have a debt with me, love. Don't miss me too much, we'll see each other very soon".

I remain in the same position as long as I see him get away. I don't have time to reflect much, since Adriano reaches me right away.

"Why did you take so long?". The burning look linked to the seductive voice kills me and the bewilder is multiplied by a thousand. "You have something here".

I can't stand such intensity. I have a lump of sensations installed in my stomach and I am afraid collapsing once it explodes.

"Ready", he has the brand of his feat with my dress's sleeve, and then extend the bowl full of grapes next to red wine cup and guide me outside the house.

I can't do anything else but get carried away by automatic mode.

I was always aware that at some point I would have to face my former promised and deal with my past's decisions, but not so suddenly, without warning and with bad taste messages.

'What does he intend?'

Why does he look for me now after almost three years?

Regressive count begins and I am embelceded contemplating fireworks.

"Happy New Year, cara". The italian caresses me the sensitive skin of ear with his nose before introducing a fruit in my mouth and snacking our glasses.

I end up chewing in slow motion while taking the red liquid to my lips and swallow everything while I am looking at him.

"Happy New Year, Husband", I feel like I have spoken for first time in a long time.