20. Gift is here

Cassandra Reid

Strawberries exude an incredible aroma and look just as appetizing... but not more than my husband. I stand in awe as he cuts them into small pieces and picks one up with his fork, bringing it to his lips extremely slowly.

'How can a simple movement awaken so many sensations in me?'

Suddenly he fixes the blue of his eyes on me before popping the fruit into his mouth. Then, he chews slowly without taking his eyes off me in a provocative gesture.

'Since when has food become a sexual instrument?'

I shift restlessly on my spot to combat sudden burning feeling, then wince.

A simple movement and every muscle in my body aches. I have been sleeping very little for two days, since my husband does not give me any respite.

Not that I can complain either. If I had known pleasure that awaited me when making love, perhaps I would not have expected so much... Although something tells me what I experienced with Adriano, I will never experience it with any other man.

"Is everything okay, darling?", he asks with a teasing smile. He bastard must know how I feel.

"Great". I fake my best smile to reply. 'Finish breakfast, Fede", I indicate to the boy, sensing his intentions. All of it or there will be no New Year party for you."

"Great", he sulks further. "I also hate those parties.'

'Well, someone woke up in a bad mood today.'

I finish writing to my secretary to pay full attention to precocious adolescent. I still haven't been able to find out the owner of mysterious messages. I haven't talked about it with Adriano, because I don't think this matter goes beyond a bad joke.

"There will be no game either", I warn.

"Dad!", He protests seeking his support, who narrows his eyes at him in a clear sign that he will not lift a finger. "I do not like fruit! I want chocolate!"

"It's not time to eat chocolate", I point out. His addiction to sweets is extreme and that can harm his long-term health.

"I eat chocolates when I want", he says with a penetrating look identical to his father's. However, he doesn't scare me.

Federico Di Lauro is used to world dancing to his tune. When someone contradicts him, he always finds a way to get away with it.

'Worthy son of his father'

He needs limits, rules and I will take care of imposing them. Of course, it will not be something overnight.

"Not anymore", I state in a nonchalant but firm tone. "There is a schedule for everything, Fede."

"Since when?"

"From now on", I reply. I let out a small sigh before pulling my chair closer to hiss. "Let's do something", I suggest. "Let's put the fruit aside… for today”, I say firmly. "You eat toast with eggs plus the juice and we stay in peace."

"And cereals with milk?", he asks as he lets out a disgusted grimace as he looks at the bowl.

"We'll try it tomorrow"  I deliberate. At seven years old, the little boy is a real businessman. "Well?"

"Can I go play later?"

"All day if you want to", I grab a piece of toast, spread some butter on it, and place a slice of Italian Omelette on top. "Try it, you'll see how delicious is it."

A gleeful smile spreads across my face when he takes first bite, then snatches the sandwich out of my hand.

Out of sheer instinct I shift my gaze to my husband to find him smiling and devouring me with his eyes.