39. Asshole Surgeon

Cassandra Reid

I check my phone one more time for a missed message or call, but my inbox is still clean. This is rare, very rare.

When my best friend hadn't shown up for my consultation for days, I went looking for her. Then, they informed me she had requested a vacations time. She surprised me too much when she didn't warning me, so I asked Romeo and his words left me even more worried.

Leah left without saying anything to anyone. She doesn't take calls, doesn't answer messages... it is as if earth had swallowed her. Two days ago I received a brief 'I'm fine' which did not calm me down not even a little bit. Since then I have lost count of how many times I have tried to contact her with no results.

My head hurts horribly and I'm biting my nails. To make matters worse, I have to go to a meeting and listening to endless reports on statistics or budgets that I do not care about.

I just wanted to be a good doctor, to have my own office with lovely patients who would be bribed by a lollipop. But no..., my husband had to give me a fucking hospital and not just any, but the biggest in the city.

Now I have an endless list of gossiping mothers more interested in making friends with me than their children's health, undisguised weird looks from my colleagues, and hateful shareholder meetings every month.

It's true that I don't work full days or do night shifts or extra shifts, but damn, this hospital is squeezing every one of my working hours.

"Answer, answer", I pray between murmurs, dialing my friend's number once more. "Come on Leah. Fuck!", I curse as I hear the mailbox again.

"Doctor Di Lauro, it's time to..."

"I already know it!", I immediately regret my rudeness upon seeing my assistant's wide eyes. "I'm sorry, Gia. I'm not in a good mood today".

"Don't worry", she gives me a kind smile. The poor thing is better than bread. I was just letting you know it's time for your meeting".

"Thank you very much, Gia and forgive me once again".

I take my briefcase and with cell phone in hand I head towards the elevator. The Board Room is on the top floor.

Halfway there, a stretcher with a patient in heart attack intercepts me and I am forced to help them. Managing to stabilize her, I rush through the corridors to the executive elevator, which to crown the day, gets stuck on an intermediate floor.

"Fuck! Me and my bad luck!"

About twenty minutes later I arrive at the meeting. No matter how hard I try, I can never get anywhere on time.

I adjust my cream dress, button my jacket and take a deep breath before entering. As I have supposed, they have not dared to start without me.

"Dr. Reid", my former professor jumps in as soon as he sees me. "Finally you decided to appear. We've been waiting for you for a while".

"Don't tell me you were anxious to see me, Dr. Rossi", I reply with marked sarcasm. Today I'm not for him bad mood. If he thinks of provoking me, he will find me.

"Apparently, punctuality continues to shine through its absence".

"That's what it seems". I show him the fakest smile I have, "as well as good manners".

The slight throat clearing of CEO stops our little duel of glances and the meeting begins. First hour passes between investments, extension projects and earnings reports. Numbers, numbers and more numbers. I am perfectly capable of understanding the subject... when I feel like it. So far, I've only enjoyed it from my husband's voice, though right now I'm hating him for getting me into this mess.