13. I have the power

Adriano Di Lauro

I kiss my little daughter's forehead before leaving the room. Even Federico went to bed early today without question. I suppose that emotion due to the news of the wedding, together with the physical activity, ended up exhausting them.

"Daddy?". Her sweet voice stops me at the door and I huff. In recent times she usually does this. I don't know if she's pretending to be asleep or just her sleep has become light.

"Tell me, Ella."

"Is it long until the wedding?"

Unable to help it, a sigh escapes my lips. Someone is even more anxious than me. I can't wait to have her here, educating my children, being an example to them. She's the perfect woman for the job, my gut tells me to.

"No, bambina", I reply at last. "Barely nothing."

"I want time to pass quickly."

"Well, for that you must sleep". I face those blue eyes which torture me so much.

"Then, I will sleep for a hundred years like Sleeping Beauty. See you tomorrow, daddy."

"See you tomorrow, Ella."

I go downstairs to go back to my office. I hope Pietro has gotten the information by now. I need to meet Gibson Reid first thing in the morning. However, halfway there I meet the stylized figure of Carina Fabri.

"It's true?". Her distressed tone of hers along with the obvious extra cups she's carrying on top of her, makes her look ridiculous. Carina is cold, determined, and she doesn't let her emotions cloud her judgment... just like me. "Are you going to marry her?"

"I think the bride's 'yes' was heard perfectly at the party", I declare, passing by.

"But why? And don't tell me you've had a relationship with that woman for a long time because you can't fool me, Adriano."

"I don't owe you any explanation, Carina. I have always been clear with you and I will not stop being so now. Cassandra Reid will be my wife and you must respect her as such as the rest of the world."

"You are making a mistake."

"I don't make mistakes, dear", I say as I sit down at my desk to open the computer. I immediately see my lawyer's email in my inbox and I smirk. That is why we are friends, in matters of business and work he is impeccable.

"There is a first time for everything". She approaches me dangerously. "You and me would have made an explosive, powerful couple..."

"I disagree", I interrupt her without losing my carefree tone. "Don't confuse things, Carina. We're great lovers and co-workers, but we just don't work as a couple."

"Why do you think so?", she questions with a puzzled expression.

Because we look too much alike. Besides”, I look up to make direct eye contact with her, “you are a frivolous, calculating, manipulative woman. Although I am immune to your charms, it would never occur to me to take you as my wife."

"You are a son of a bitch!"

She tries to slap me, but she doesn't even get halfway there as I quickly hold her hand.

"Yes, I am", I admit shamelessly, but never a liar. You are not a woman for me and I can assure you that I am not the right man for you either."

I yank it away, then go back to the computer. I may be a bastard, but I've always put my cards on the table. Every woman I've ever been involved with knows what she can get from me. The blonde present in my  office is no exception.