46. Pregnant and kidnapped

Cassandra Reid

He left ...

The sheets still retain their warmth, he must not have parted long ago. Suddenly I feel like crying and I run to get in the shower to rinse away my tears.

Last night we shared more than sex and pleasure. We made love. I thought...

I hit my forehead on the tiles while the water trickles down my skin.

How many times do I have to ask to get the answer I'm looking for? I can't go on like this, I'm suffocating. I feel imprisoned again like years ago, but this time, imprisoned by my own feelings because I can't give them free rein.

"Mommy!". I hear Ella's voice from the room. "We're going to call Oakland, hurry up."

"I'm coming, honey," I mutter from the tub as I wrap myself in a bathrobe.

"Don't delay!". Wow, someone woke up bossy. "And Grandma is here."

Grandma?

Which grandma?

I dress in a hurry, because she has piqued my curiosity and I leave with my hair still damp.

"Who has...?", I stop in my tracks seeing the stylized figure of her in front of me. "Mom?"

"Hi, honey. Do you think we can talk?"

"I..."

I'm so flustered that I let myself be dragged like a doll by the children to call Vivi.

I remain silent while the kids talk to the puppy and make faces at him as if he could understand them. The scene is funny and I would laugh if it weren't for my husband's escape coupled with my mother's presence.

What will she want to talk to me? I don't feel like listening to moralistic sermons from her...

"Goodbye, Oakland," the brothers say goodbye. "Blow Oakland a kiss, mommy."

I let out a short sigh before tossing it into the camera and ending the call.

"Have you had breakfast yet?", I ask, hoping they will respond with an affirmation. My stomach is queasy and I don't feel like seeing food. Fortunately, they both nod their heads. "Well, go brush your teeth, we'll go for a walk."

"Yeaaah!", they yell together excitedly before running off.

"I'll go out with the kids," I inform my mother. "If you want to talk, you can come with me."

"Okey."

I throw what I need into a bag and give directions to Security Team to get out. Although we will not go far, in the capital it is better to travel by car due to the traffic. That's why I hate it.

We arrive at a small park and I sit on a bench while the little ones go through the devices as they please. I'd like to take them somewhere else with carnival rides and stuff, but Ella is just getting the hang of parks and interacting with other kids. We must go step by step. Although... I don't know if I'll be there for the next one...

I shake my head to shake those thoughts away and I focus on seeing them. Fede helps his sister get into the rocking chair and pushes her forward. Five minutes later they exchange positions and they have fun together, helping each other.

"They are wonderful children," my mother comments distractedly.

"They are," I reaffirm. "They may not carry my genetic code, but I love them as if they were mine."

"And they love you," she replies. "You have created a beautiful family and you look more radiant than ever. That is all I have ever wanted for you," she adds after a while.