36. Mine

Cassandra Reid

I rub my eyes with my hands once more. Again we have to get up early to travel by plane and I fall asleep. I couldn't sleep a wink all night. Ella's words continue to ramble through my head.

Mommy, she called me 'mommy'. And since then, she has not stopped repeating it. It was the first thing she did this morning when she saw me.

Apparently Fede doesn't mind and Adriano has remained on the sidelines, nor has he mentioned it. Could it be they have also accepted me as such? Or on the contrary, are they just ignoring it?

I lean back in the recliner ready to sleep through the flight while we wait for Pietro, who is supposed to bring my hungover best friend.

"We're ready to take off, sir", the pilot reports as soon as my husband's lawyer shows up.

"Perfect".

Leah runs to lie down next to me, of course, to do so she has to push my husband aside, who clenches his jaw hard to keep his murderous instincts at bay.

"I'm sorry, Mister Italian", my friend apologizes, snuggling up to my body. "These are the consequences for getting up early after a night out".

Adriano snorts too heartily before moving to the front seat. The scene is a bit funny. Who would have thought the Man of Steel would let his wife bargain for a half-drunk and sleepy nurse.

"Especially if you drink liters of alcohol", I point out.

"There weren't that much!", she immediately winces as she yells.

"Better shut your little mouth next to your precious eyes". Although it's a suggestion, my commanding tone sounds more like a threat.

She silently complies and I wink at my husband in response while he merely snorts and looks away, only to find the little ones playing with the new member of our family and ending up muttering some curse under his breath.

That is the last memory I have before I surrender to Morpheus's arms. When I wake up, I am surprised to find myself in the car about to cross the mansion gates.

The children hardly wait for security protocol to run towards the house with the puppy.

"Aren't you going downstairs?", My husband questions with a raised eyebrow as he unbuckles my seatbelt. He seems in a good mood today. "Or are you by any chance waiting for me to carry you?"

"Hmmm", I mumble little incoherent moans in response. Seconds later, I let out a startled squeak when he drags me to the car door and then, he scoops me up in his beefy arms. I wonder where those muscles came from, in more than two months I haven't seen him lift weights even once.

"It seems my lazy wife has returned".

"Don't tell me you missed her", I ask as we walk up the stairs. From a distance I can hear Francesca's wild screams.

'I think someone doesn't like dogs'

"A little", he replies reluctantly as he manages to open the door to his room. I sleep here every night, but I still have my own. "I've told you plenty of times, Cassandra, and I'll keep saying it: you're perfect just the way you are".

Because of comments of this type it has been irremediable for me to fall in love with him. Will he be aware about meaning of his words? What does his attention mean, his passion, his protection...? How can he pretend doesn't make me fall in love if he insists on conquering me every second of every day next to him?

We haven't gotten to bed when I already find myself half-removing my clothes. His skill undressing me is impressive.

Without staying behind him, I unbutton the buttons on his shoulder and pushed him away. His luscious skin leaps into view and suddenly urge to taste every inch of it surges from depths of my being.