6. Be careful what you wish for

Cassandra Reid

"I don't believe in coincidences", my friend declares arriving at the auditorium, "and I do believe in destiny. Why else would you dream with someone you've never seen?"

"First of all, I'm not sure he is the man of my dreams". At this point I'm not sure. " And secondly, if so, I may have seen him on television, in a magazine or in any news. He is very famous, Leah."

"Nonsense", she snorts attached to her ideas. The truth is I don't even know why I'm trying to dissuade her, since it's an impossible task. "You are meant for that man, period."

I roll my eyes before his ridiculous statement. Me being bride of most beautiful, rich and powerful man in Florence... it is something that will never happen. Maybe I would like to. I mean, who doesn't?

'But what do I say?'

My friend is really insane... and so am I.

"Whatever you say, Leah", I conclude to close the subject before sitting down in my seat.

Seconds later, the event begins. In total we are about fifteen doctors who have survived the intensive course. The hospital hospital's CEO begins with some encouraging words and congratulations to the entire team. Then, he gives his turn to Santino Rossi, the program's supervisor.

"Half of you fell by the wayside because you were incompetent", he begins his charming speech. "The rest of you have made it this far, but that doesn't mean you're successful doctors. I am sure I won't hear most of your names in the rest of my life. To the few who succeed, I hope you remember what you learned in these two years. Don't come look for me to clarify doubts because I don't like to repeat lessons twice. And for those of you who stay in this hospital, I inform you that you will have to continue dealing with me and whoever will be under my charge, if you don't measure up, you'll be out of my team.

The CEO takes his place again to pronounce our names one by one.

"Wasn't that speech supposed to be motivational?", one of my colleagues asks.

"He's a jerk", I interject. "What did you expect?"

"He's still the best surgeon in Florence", Romeo alludes.

"And to close with a flourish", our boss says. "We certify Dr. Cassandra Reid as the most outstanding of the team."

The round of applause follows and I get up to go get my award, but not before leaving a message for my classmates: "He may be the God of Surgery, but if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that I'm not going to miss him."

"Congratulations, Dr. Reid". The asshole surgeon hands me the certificate with a tiny gold seal that lists me as the most outstanding.

'Cool!'

"Thank you, Dr. Rossi".

"I must confess you were least worst of all".

"Least worst". I don't know if I ask or exclaim, every time this man opens his mouth he leaves me dumbfounded. The hardest thing for me to believe is that with his bad mood he has all hospital staff drooling over him.

"Believe me, doctor,  that was a compliment", he assures me at the same time that he winks at me.

'He winked at me!'

I'll have to start believing my friends' nonsensical theories.

"Can't say I'll miss you though".

He had to mess it up. And here I thought there was still something kind about him.

"That wasn't what you told me two days ago, doctor", I point out sarcastically.