10. Past, present and future

Adriano Di Lauro

I can hear the staff's movement in the kitchen from my position and even the automated irrigation system of the garden. There is so much silence in this place that I could even hear the laughter of my children at home from here.

My mother watches me stunned until little by little she leaves surprise behind to give way to indignation. It is understandable and I already expected something like this, because despite undertaking an endless search and having built a long list of suitors, she already had her favorite.

"The doctor?”, she speaks for the first time in half an hour. "Why?"

“Cassandra Reid is the one, Mom, and I'm not going to get into a debate with you."

"This is absurd!", she exclaims at the same time she rises from the armchair to walk the room from one side to the other. "You hardly know her! She doesn't belong to our circle... What about Carina? I understood that you two had something..."

"What I have with Carina is far from what you imagine, mom", I cut her off. "And I'm not getting married her no matter how much you want me to. I'm sorry, but this time I can't please you."

"It's not to please me!”, she jumps right away. "We have known Carina for years, she has a bright future as an executive, we are friends of her family. I have witnessed how well you work together and my grandchildren adore her. What is wrong with her?"

'That she will end up falling in love with me', I add mentally.

'That is if she is not already'

I harden my eyes to indicate that I'm not going to answer her. I'm usually warmer to the closest members of my family, but right now I can't help but act like the Man of Steel. After all, this marriage is a kind of business.

I can be very imposing when I put my mind to it to the point of intimidating even Alexa Di Lauro.

"I swear I'm trying to understand you, Adriano, but it's getting harder and harder for her to do so", she reproaches me. "You intend to marry a woman who appeared out of nowhere, make her part of our family, mother of your children! You met her three days ago, literally. When I insisted that you look for a wife I did not mean this... What kind of marriage will yours be? And don't tell me that you fell in love at first sight..."

"The terms about my marriage or other matters regarding my future wife, are only up to us", I clarify with a dry tone. "I've made my choice, mom. Take comfort in knowing that I followed your advice."

I turn on my feet to leave, however, her voice stops me midway: "But... Carina..."

"I'm not going to marry Carina, mom!". My shout echoes throughout the house, causing my father to appear in the living room with a questioning expression. "Get used to the idea once and for all because in less than a month Cassandra Reid will be Italy's bride."

I leave the mansion at a brisk pace and make my way home followed by my bodyguards. I need some fresh air to cool off before I go to Ella. I know she is waiting for me.

I walk into her room and sure enough, I find her sitting on the bed next to Vivi flipping through her favorite pop-up book.

"I'm sorry, sir", the old lady apologizes when she notice my presence, "but you already know her. I couldn't get her to sleep."

"Why did you take so long, daddy?", my girl asks with a serious expression. Although in physical appearance she is almost identical to her late mother, in character she is the same as me. "I want my story."