14. Wedding

Cassandra Reid

I contemplate my figure in the mirror plunged into a deep silence. It seems that I am going to a funeral and not to my own wedding.

My parents haven't come, they haven't called. Apparently they have fulfilled their threat and I no longer exist for them.

I don't know why I expected them to show up even after two weeks. By now I should be used to their rudeness, claims, offenses and disappointments..., but it's not like that. Their indifference hurts and the words of that night continue to swarm in my head along with those they've said for years.

I have killed myself studying, I have survived alone in a foreign country and yet, they are only capable of seeing a runaway and rebellious daughter.

The day I fled from San Francisco, I knew perfectly well possible consequences of my actions and I was willing to accept them... Or so I thought.

Now I see that I always kept the hope that my parents would one day reconsider or at least understand my actions; but it seems that I will receive more support from an unknown Italian and his young kids than from my parents.

After the engagement party, I have my doubts about this marriage and I'm upset with Adriano for forcing me into a situation that I didn't want and only brought me pain... However, I have no choice but to move on. I have signed a contract and there is no going back.

"Are you ready?", my best friend asks.

I glance at my in a few minutes mother-in-law, who has taken care of the ceremony more than me, before nodding.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready for this', I make a joking attempt to ward off my nerves, "but I have to move on. My fiancé will kill me if I don't show up in the next few minutes.

"You can take that for granted", Mrs. Di Lauro says. She continues to amaze me how quickly she has accepted me as her daughter-in-law. She has been all smiles and very kind with me. "I will go to check out on last details so that everything is in order. In five minutes we leave for the garden."

"Then, let's not waste any more time", Leah says. "Your Italian waits for you. You see, I was right with my assumptions. That hott man is only yours..."

"Leah..."

"Don't you dare deny it, my friend", she cuts me off abruptly. "And I already know what you're going to say. I know the terms, remember? However, in no clause does it say that you cannot have a good fuck with your husband. You must take advantage of the opportunities that life offers you."

"You're crazy". I shake my head. I appreciate she is making me smile right now, "but you're an adorable crazy."

"I know", she shrugs without further ado. "Shall we?"

"We shall..."

The sound of the door opening distracts us. However, I am stunned and my mind goes blank seeing two very familiar faces get into the room.

"Were you planning to walk down the aisle without me?"

Is it possible to stop breathing with your heart stopped and at the same time be aware of everything that happens around you?

I can hear the bee's wings, everyone's breathing and even the sound of the wind. It is as if my senses are amplified and at the same time they are paralyzed.

"You have come...", I finally find my own words. Then I take a deep breath and expel it to recover from surprise. "What have you come for?"

"This is not the time to discuss". Gibson Reid is a specialist in evading questions as a good diplomatic. "Hundreds of people are waiting for you out there and this time I will make sure you don't leave the boyfriend standing."