45. Getting rid of the harpy

Adriano Di Lauro

The annulment...

It is what is stipulated in the contract, what I must do. So, why do I refuse to let her go?

I don't say anything, I just clench my jaw and fists with enormous force before leaving the room like a soul possess by the devil. I change my outfit in a matter of minutes and then, I go back to the company.

Nobody plays with me and whoever gets in my way, I fuck him. No one is essential in my life except my family and my asshole best friend. I think I've been too belligerent with her.

I enter the building and as usual, the staff arranged in the corridors suddenly falls silent. I enter the elevator between huffs to go straight to my office.

"Sir," my secretary greets me, but I cut her off immediately.

"Tell Miss Fabri to come to my office."

"You have a meeting in less than ten minutes..."

"Cancel it," I order as I sit in front of the computer. I am not for meetings right now. My headache has increased and fury does not go away. The metal is burning and whoever touches me will be burned. "Call Carina".

"Yes sir."

I try to focus on stocks, but my wife's words keep echoing in my mind.

'I love you Adriano'

I go over the numbers and I start reviewing investment projects.

'I fall in love with you'

I press down hard on my brow in an attempt to push away the pain and focus on pending signatures.

'What do you feel for me'

"Fuck!". I throw the quill on the table with a loud roar. I can't even write! "What the hell have you done to me, Cassandra Di Lauro?"

"Does the hangover treat us badly?". I curse, my jaw dropping as I notice my attorney's presence. Apparently, he has a knack for showing up at the least opportune moments. "Don't answer me, I can see for myself."

"Get out of here," I blurt out immediately.

"I can't, we have work to do." I close my fists to repress the urge to slit his throat alive without taking my eyes off his mocking face. Don't look at me like that." He points his index finger at me. "I'm just looking out for your interests."

"Don't try my patience, Pietro," I warn. "Today I'm not for your games."

"And who said...?", his question is interrupted by Carina Fabri's entrance.

She moves her hips from side to side as if she were walking down the most exclusive floor in Milan. She reveals a seductive smile and my instinct tells me to punch it out.

What's happening to me?

I am a rational man, I always act with a cold head to control the terrain. Since when do I have these violent impulses to the point of provoking murderous instincts?

"Were you looking for me, darling?"

"Pack your things," I order with my eyes fixed on the papers, "because you're getting out of here."

"What did you say?", I hear the woman laugh. Apparently she thinks I am joking.

I raise my head to rest my eyes on her. I don't give orders twice.

Realizing the seriousness of the situation, smile fades from her face.

What was she thinking? That I would applaud her ruse and come running into her arms?