31. Ice Moon

Cassandra Reid

"Oakland?", I question with an unfriendly face. I thought we had passed this stage. "What does this mean, Adriano? And please don't tell it's what I'm thinking".

"I have started to invest in hotel sector and this city seemed like a good option".

"Yeah, sure", I laugh and snort at the same time. "Did you know that I'm Ella's age and I suck my thumb?"

"There is no need to use sarcasm, cara".

"I'm just playing along", I say as my anger grows faster. He just had to screw everything...

"You missed destination you've chosen for our Honeymoon attempt", I begin to rant as I jerkily unpack my bags. "Or maybe you did it on purpose".

I stop to look at him for a few moments. He remains leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and his usual undaunted gesture. He's not good at lying, it's not his style. The answer is obvious.

"You planned it all", I rub my face with my hands as a bitter smile breaks through and I fell like an idiot.

"But what are you saying?"

"The truth!". Although I exclaim, I am careful not to raise my voice too high so I won't alert the children. "Your intentions are completely different from what you let me believe. This is not a Honeymoon, but an Ice Moon and the gift is not for me, it is for him".

"One thing has nothing to do with the other", he finally speaks. "I have not lied to you at any time, I only hid some insignificant details from you".

"Insignificant". I laugh once more to hide the immense desire to cry which fights to dominate me. "Nice word, you should look up its meaning in the dictionary, by the way read the one about lying and hiding. They're right next to asshole!"

It's the middle of winter and it's barely noon, but I still jump into the shower without thinking.

I scream, cry and kick.

Idiot, delusional, naive... I can think of a lot of adjectives to describe how I feel, however, none beats the term "hurt". It hurts because defying my ex–fiancé is more important for him than me. It hurts me because I love him and it's getting harder and harder for me to hide it.

"Cassandra", I hear his call through the glass and I hold back a sob.

"Go away!"

"Open the door". The icy tone with which he handles the situation makes my hair stand on end, but I maintain my position.

Then, he bangs on the door until he manages to sneak into the bathroom to get under the shower even dressed.

"Have you gone mad?!", I utter followed by a sharp little scream.

"You have driven me crazy!"

His statement makes me useless. My arms hang looser than jelly at my sides, my mouth hanging open as I fight my trembling legs to keep from falling.

"M...me...?

"Don't you see me?". He points to himself. "That psychopath has harassed you with messages, he has threatened and persecuted you. You are my wife". He approaches me cautiously. "Messing with you is messing with me and if someone fucks me, he pays it handsomely".

"Is that why you brought me here?", I ask in a whisper. "To rub your victory in his face? Is that what I am to you? The prize of a challenge between titans?"

"Of course not". He places his hands around my neck to caress my cheeks with his thumbs. "You are my wife. Mine! That is what I want to make clear to him and to the rest of the world. You're untouchable, honey".