9. Meeting and conditions

Adriano Di Lauro

The driver opens the door for me to get out while my entourage of bodyguards surround me until I go in to the restaurant. I don't even need to say my name, since I'm a regular client here and besides, all Florence knows the Man of Steel's face. For this reason, everyone's eyes falls on my figure when I go to my table.

Usually, I dine in booths of places so I don't attract public attention, but in this case, I want they to see me. My presence will give path to rumors and society will begin to ask questions about the woman who is dating Adriano Di Lauro. The sooner they start seeing us in public, the better.

"The same as always, Mr. Di Lauro?", waiter asks in a slow voice.

"Just a glass of Château Pavie Decesse St. Emilion two thousand ten for now"  I order. "As soon as my date walks in, you let her in."

"Don't worry, everything is settled, sir. Excuse me."

I let time pass while I enjoy the wonderful wine and check values ​​on the stock market. This month has been generous for me in terms of investments.

"Good evening". the person I was waiting for appears in front of me with a dazzling white long-sleeved dress that fits perfectly to his tiny figure.

'Very suitable for the occasion'

"Sorry for the delay, the traffic..."

"Don't worry". I get up from my seat to move her chair back and invite her to sit down like a gentleman. "I actually didn't wait long. Pretty dress."

"Thank you. Very timely, don't you think?”. She smiles nervously before taking her place. "I..."

"What if we order before moving on to the subject that has brought us here?", I propose. As always, I am the one who dominates the situation.

I take her slight nod as an affirmation and call the waiter over to order. I smile unconsciously as I listen to her order a simple Caprese Salad. Apparently she likes Italian food and just to toe the line, I order a Piccata al limone con basilico.

Atmosphere becomes a bit tense during dinner as silence settles between the two of us. I am aware of people's curious glances at us, as is she. However, she maintains poise and security at all times.

'Yes, she is for sure the perfect bride for me'

"I have a fewconditions", she finally decides to say a word.

“I'm all ears, Dr. Reid".

"First of all, you can call me Cassandra, just as I'll try to call you Adriano", she says. "If we are going to get married, we must treat each other with a certain level of trust."

"A good observation, Cassandra", I agree, pronouncing her name out loud for the first time. "Second condition."

"The children", she replies succinctly. "You want me to be their mother... Well, as one I should have same authority as you". We don't make a sound for a few minutes. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not referring to legal field. I just want to have the power to pick them up at school, punish or reward them, inflict rules, take them for a walk... In short, exercise authority, answer for them and their interests."

"Are you asking me for more responsibilities?, I ask surprised with a knot in my stomach that puzzles me.

"I can be a wife of lies", she approaches me as much as the table allows her, "but I will do what is necessary to become the mother those children need. You may not believe me, but they are main reason I accept this madness. If situation were different, even if you offered me my dream job on a silver platter, I would think it twice.'