38. Goodbye to witch's curse

Adriano Di Lauro

With the stony gesture and ignoring her shrieks, I drag her out of the room while my housekeeper loads the suitcase.

"Don't you ever show up at my house again", I warn her from the car. "Be very careful what you do or in any case say, Francesca, because you will never see the light of day again. You open your mouth and what few privileges you have left will be nipped in the bud".

"I will tell the truth!"

"The truth?", I let out a small and sarcastic laugh. Anger fuels my coldness and makes me feel more powerful than ever. " Which truth? Do you think anyone will believe the words of a decrepit old woman like you? You seem to have forgotten who you're dealing with, my dear", I add with an icy smile. "Do what you want, in the end I still have my money and my power. On the other hand, you... you are nobody, you are nothing. I can crush you right now with the palm of my hand".

"You won't because...

"Because of respect for my children", I don't allow her to reply. The condescensions are over. "Lucky for you. You should leave before I change my mind".

"You will pay for this..."

I signal the driver to start and take her away along with her empty threats. Pietro was right to say that Francesca Salvo was my cross, but he didn't count on me not being intimidated by the devil. No one has more power than me and I should have realized that much sooner and gotten rid of her.

I rush up the stairs and enter the room with silent steps, only to be confronted with one of the most extraordinary scenes I have ever seen in my life.

My daughter and my wife... hugging each other and asleep, showing their angelic faces now calm.

I sneak over to bed to take off my shoes and lie on the other side next to them. Suddenly I feel like taking a nap. I leave the lamp on the bedside table on and I stare at them until exhaustion overcomes me.

Some time later, I feel someone move me, I can barely open my eyes, but I identify the small figure of my eldest son getting between the body of his sister and mine. This is how the nap of three becomes one of four.

Now I can breathe easy and enjoy my family.

I try to get away from work as long as possible to take care of Ella together with my wife, my son and the rest of the household staff. Little by little over the course of a week and with regular visits from the psychologist, my daughter returns to being the happy girl she used to be.

"I'm not so sure about this", I mutter sullenly. For the first time in years, I have doubts about my actions.

"We've discussed it with the doctor", my new wife alludes with the same allegation as yesterday. "She needs to face her fear or she will never set foot in a park again. Childhood traumas must be overcome in childhood itself, Adriano. Otherwise, they will mark her for life".

"What if she relapses?

"She won't". Cassandra grabs my hand on impulse and unexpectedly, a warmth begins to rise from the palm of it. It feels...good. "We're here with her... together". I nod mutely as I let her talk to the children, urging them through the gate. "Ready, guys?"

"I don't want to!", Ella protests.

"There is nothing to fear, Ellita", Cassandra insists. "There is no one here, just us".

"No one? Daddy?", she asks me to reaffirm my wife's answer, so I shake my head.

The place is empty, we chose a specific time so tlshe could explore it at her whim. Her viper grandmother stuffed her into a bouncy castle with a bunch of squeaky brats and my little ragazza exploded in panic.