3

Leo lead me out of the building. The sun had almost set and the bright street lights where beaming on the bustling city corner.

The group lead us down the sidewalk while they laugh and pointed at stuff in the windows. Leo on the other had was quiet.

To be honest I quite liked it. The calm silence that settle between us not uncomfortable but just soft as it passed between us. J kept gla cong back evey now and then as we walked. Almost as if he was surveying the area. I noticed Leo also scanning. His eyes not missing a thing.

He also lingered on me often. His gaze burning a bit as he hovered a bit to long. I was embarrassed I won't lie.

10 minutes passed and the girls and Trinity became extremely excited. I was trying not to feel alert but I had no where to sleep tonight and without Jami like I'd planned I'm screwed. I couldn't ask these people they were to close. Loe and J were far to observant and Leo would want the real deal.

Not that he's who I'd go after. Of course not.

Just as we were about to head inside shouting from behind me had us turning.

"Aye Cabron!" I turned to see Jami and his friends running up to us. Leo'shand suddenly found my wrist and he pulled me closer. I could feel the heat of his body as he tensed at their approach "You were really gonna leave?" Jami asked and I sighed rubbing the back of my neck.

"Look I'm sorry Jami I just really didn't like that guy and I couldnt..."

"Nah its ok Mijo. I understand. D is crazy and an asshole but maybe we could talk it over tomorrow." He glanced to the group behind me. Lingering on Leo."You with them now?" Leo was eyeing Jami up and down but didn't make an outward response.

"Well I'd bumped into him on accident earlier and we all got to talking but we can go back to ur place. So we can talk in the morning." I pulled a bit to have Leo let go of my arm with a smile.

"Thanks for havin me but I'm gonna head back with them." I said and the group nodded. I was turning when I paused on Leo. His eyes were seering as he watched me go.

"Is he your boyfriend?" The question was quiet and only I could really hear over the crowd walking by.

"No just a close friend." I said while stepping away..

"Good." I swore I heard him say that but shrugging it off I ran after Jami, us bantering playfully on back to his place.

I passed out on Jami's couch before anything else.

***

The next morning I helped Jami around the house. My mind wandering to yesterday's events.

"So, what you got goin for you right now. Anything?" Jami asked snapping my mind back. I placed the now dried cup down.

"Well honestly Jami. Nothin. I can't get a job and I can't be given a loan. I'm stuck doing side hustles to make cash and couch hoppin."

"Hoppin! With who?" I remained silent and Jami glared. "No!" He said in realization. "No mijo not happenin. Your staying here."

"No look. Jam..."

"No!"

"It's fine seriously. I'm not sleeping with people. Just making it to the couch. It's not for money just a bed. It ok. I..."

"Bj'a and Handies for something is still Prostitution Wolf! I will not have my best friend stooping to that level just so he can make a living. I helped you once and I'll help you again. I don't care if you're in ok with it or not. There is no way you doing that. I won't let that happen." He crossed his arms defiantly and I glared.

"I'm not using you again Jami."

"That is not what it's about! Your wellbeing means more to me than my couch. Or my shower or kitchen. This apartment is very capable of house us both. Especially  when you not in the position to have that of your own." He ran a hand down his face. "Damn it Wolf don't be so stubborn. Get over it and enjoy having a roof over your head." He took a drink of his coffee while standing. I had leaned back against the counter nervously clawing at the underside of the granite. He set the mug down and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"If I needed something from you. You'd be there no question asked. Right?" He asked and I nodded. "So why wouldn't I. You need a place to stay. We will work on the job but for now we knock out the big problem." He headed back towards the kitchen entryway. "I got work but there is a spare key under the patio gnome. Just grab that one and I'll put the other one I have under there. If u make a mess clean it up and I'll see you when I get home. Call me if you need anything." He said and I nodded.

"Okay!" I shouted as he sprinted up stairs. Sighing I rid the guilt burrowing in my chest and went back to finishing the dishes.

A few hours later I got a call from Beth my case worker.

"Wolf. You've been quiet. What's the word?" She asked and I sighed.

"Just glad to be out of there." I said and I heard clicked over the line.

"I could understand that. Any job offers yet?" She asked and shook my head.

"Not really had one but the dude was an asshole." I said and she scoffed.

"Now Wolf you can't not get a job cuz the boss is a dick."

"On the contrary Beth I can infact do just that and I will as long as I don't have a job." I said and she hummed.

"Jesus you're impossible." She paused before changing the subject. "What else?"

"Well Jami told me. I could stay at his place for the time being. Hopefully it's not to overbearing for him." I said and she greet somone who I assumed she was walking past.

"You need to stop seeing yourself as a burden Wolf. Friends are there for a reason you not alone." She said and I cleared my throat.

"Right no need to get sappy. Just figured I'd mention it." I said and she had shuffling on her end.

"I get it. But anyway. Class starts in a week be there. I swear if you don't show Wolf I'm going to be livid. You've done great. Don't fuck this up just cause you don't like the instructor." She pleaded and I mocked her with an eye roll.

"Yeah yeah. I won't. I promise." I she hummed again.

"Sure. Anyway I'll call u in two days. Have more good news for me. I always love to hear it." She said and I bid her a goodbye as did she. The line went dead and I lent back on the couch. Then headed off to the guest room. It was quiet clean a few miscellaneous boxes laying in the corner. But it was a running room non the less.

The bed was grey with a blue comforter and there was a black end table next to it. A lamp. A window which a dark brown desk sat next to with a lamp posted on it as well. A ceiling fan and a rug. A closet with a mirror on the door. Over all a plain room.

But the smile on my face held nothing but pure relief. I curled up in the bed and quickly let my exhaustion sink in.

I believe I'd heard Jami come home and knock while opening the room door but I didn't answer as sleep took me completely.