42

After everything that's happened, I'd have believed my life would be... well... non-existent. But finding Leo.... now that was not something I saw coming. 

My life was shit.

Until him.

"What's wrong?" I spun slightly flinching as Jami entered. "You okay Mijo? You're jumpy." I swallowed taking in his presences as he entered the room. 

"Just nervous." I mumbled turning back to look at myself in the mirror. I lent on the sink in front of me and swallowed. In the silence that followed I couldn't keep myself from spilling my thoughts. "My life's been absolute shit Jami. And.... and yet somehow, I wanna keep going. Despite it all." I trailed and he said nothing as he glanced at me and then my reflection. Several long moments passed before he sighed.

"I'm a felon." I deadpanned. My gaze meeting his in the mirror. 

"N.."

"And you're a free man." He stopped me from speaking and I turned to him. He wiped his hands on his thighs. "You're my best friend. and I'm a pain in your ass... But you're my family Mijo. I want nothing more than to see you succeed. Fuck the gangs and your psycho brother. Right now, you are a normal citizen, with rights and a voice. And even though I have to speak today everything I tell them will be the truth. Leo's words will be the truth. Will's, Indi'... all of us. We want what's best for you. So, if the judge can't see what's right in front of them then I don't know what to fuckin tell you bro..." He tossed his hands up a bit. I didn't miss the shake in them.

 I tried to smile some at him, but it must have looked as pained as it felt because Jami came forward. His arms going around me in a tight hug. I hugged him back with a deep breath. Some nerves in my limbs releasing as we embraced one another.

"I'm gonna try Jami. I'm... I'm just working myself up to it, you know." He nodded against me as a knock sounded on the door behind us. I pulled away as the person entered. 

"I guess Jami beat me to the pep talk." I rolled my eyes at our intruder and both chuckled. 

"It wasn't very good. Probably needs a distraction." Jami wriggled his brow, and I shoved him as I was wrapped in another hug. Leo's warm lips pressed against my forehead. I sighed into his chest. The door clicked shut and we were alone. 

"There isn't enough time for distractions unfortunately. You've been in here for a while." Leo's deep voice traveled through me in goosebumps. I sighed again melting into him.  I nodded pushing away before taking a deep breath and pulling him to the door. However, I couldn't quite leave and instead turned back into him with a groan.

"This is gonna suck."

***

"Attention! Order!! Order!! Now Mrs. Varland if you cannot sit down, I will have you and every other family member in this room arrested for disorderly conduct do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Your Honor." 

"Good. Now Mr. V.. Gryffin please answer the question." 

"Did you or did you not forcible attack, Mr. Varland, Otherwise known as your father, when the time of the murder took place?" The opposing lawyer was staring at me with his binder, and I was honestly struggling to breath. These were not the questions I thought I was gonna be asked. There were running this trial just like the first one.  "Answer the question sir." I jumped a bit and looked around quickly. If I said yes, I would be killing myself, if I said no, I'd be lying under oath. My eyes found Leo's. He blinked at me and took a deep breath. I did the same and the lawyer spoke again. Asking me the question again ending with, "I'm only going to ask this once more." Leo nodded slowly and I took another deep breath.