11

I was back in the room. I thought I'd been with Leo but I was sleeping again. I looked around.

"Have a good nap?" I jumped a little. My eyes locking onto said man. He smiled at me from the doctor's desk. His hands moving away from the laptop keyboard. A pang ricocheted through my chest as he slid over to the bed. He hadn't left yet.

He grabbed my arm suddenly and I tensed. "How long has this been like this?" He asked while straightening my arm out. I looked down at the IV in my elbow. The whole thing was purple and bruised. He reached over and pressed the call button while disconnecting the IV pump.

"What are you doing?" I asked concerned with the alarm going off. Thankfully it didn't.

"The vein in your arm burst. Jesus have they not changed it at all?" He now looked irritated. A crease forming in his forehead.

"Yes they change it. Just not as often recently because I was off the IV before they put me back on it for regular fluids." Just then Jackie walked in.

"Boys what's happening?" She smiled as she walked in but paused when she saw how Leo held me.

"The IV vein has burst. He should be IV'ed through a less painful spot." Leo said without looking at her. She rocked on her heels a moment before walking over. She looked a bit hesitant before making shoo gestures with her hands at Leo.

"Alright let me in and I'll get to work." She commented while he cleared his throat letting her step up next to bed. She pulled one of the metal steril tables from behind the bed, up next to us and pulled the drawer out. She began prepping a new needle and a cotton swab, after pulling on gloves. Then she gently grabbed my arm and sighed.

"If you were in pain and this was happening you should have told us. We are here to keep you healthy not harm you." Her voice was quiet, almost attentive. I held my tongue. No sense in explaining they wont understand. She began pulling the iv out and i immediately felt the burn. My chest heavy as it warded away the pain. Well tried to.

Leo stood with his arms folded, face blank of emotion. Dred filled my stomach. God i was always the pinacol of someone's negative emotions. Even drunk and partying i was the damn problem. His stormy eyes looked irritated and his jaw was clenched.

"I wasn't in pain..." I ended up saying before the sentence trailed off while i looked away. She finished up and we were silent. Once she was done she started throwing stuff away and then plopped her gloves off and sighed.

"Next time let me know. I wont hesitated to help you." She said with a nod as she headed for the door. "Do you need anything?" She asked and i just glanced at her with a shake of my head. My throat tight with guilt. "Buz the clicker if you do." She left and the room fell silent. I cleared my throat as Leo remained stoic.

He had sat back down as she departed. Once again resuming his place at the desk. However his eyes were lingering on me and i was growing uncomfortable. Several more excruciating seconds later and i broke.

"What..." I said exasperated. He tensed a moment, then finally looked away his hands in fists on the desk. Neither of us looked at the other now as white noise sunk into the room, again. Aside for the tapping of his fingers. The sound triggering a familiar memory. Starring ahead my mind flitted elsewhere.

"You ought to think next time." Beth said to me her one finger tapping the desk. The other digging through the band-aids. FInaly finding the one she wanted she sighed cocking a brow at me. I only cleared my throat indicating no response. She pushed a band-aid on my forehead with a shrug. "Maybe think about the right thing instead of fighting straight on." She stated dumbly.

"RIght... Think about my next punch or my next attacker." I scoffed pushing her hands away as i stood up holding my hands out for her to put the cuffs back on.

"Wolf. I'm not joking or fooling around. The more you fight its one more night... remember?" She cocked her head and i sighed. I looked away at the barred door.

"Ya i got it." I just mumbled and she sighed before snapping the cuffs on and leading me back through the doors. Buzzers and bells rang as we passed through the corridor. We entered the airlock and Guard Bug was perched, hands on belt, a smug grin flitting onto his ugly face.

"You ought'a chain this damn animal, Mular." He was chewin on something that smelled vile.

"I'll do as i damn well please, Trusey. Now open the gate before i take these cuffs off." She quirked a brow at him and i held back my smirk. Bug or 'officer Trusey' chewed his tongue with an annoyed brow for a moment. However his hand still pushed down on the red buzzer and the second air lock opened.

Beth pushed me forward gently as i stepped ahead. Then paused turning to let her remove the cuffs. She stepped back and the buzzer rang the cage sliding between us. I turned again and the second door clicked. The loud shouts of inmates blasted in front of me. I stepped out of the final airlock as the door slid open and the majority of inmates who heard were already sizing me up as i entered.

"Pup is back for his mom's date!" One shouted and i ignored them heading for my bunk.

"Aye puta you best answer or..."

"Shut your trap pendajo or im'a send Bug out for grab bag. Keep up your merda, puta." I gestured for Bo to stop.

"It's ok, they talk. Thats all." I murmured as i headed for my cell. Bo followed without question and once we were in he was in front of me. His hand under my chin. His crystal blue eyes scanning my injuries. "I'm fine Bo." I said and he t'sked his tongue.

"Fine?" He hissed. His other hand pushing me behind the bunks, against the wall and out of sight of the door. "You think this is fine?" He said gesturing to the wound on my forehead.

"It's just a cut. I fell it was nothing..."

"Fell? Dont degrade me with a lie!" His voice raised a bit. "Who did it?" He asked and i shook my head.

"Bo it doesn't matter. I'm fine." He glared and i gave him a small smile. Placing my hands on his chest. I could feel his heart pounding. The strong tension in them beckoning my touch.

"It matters to me Mi'a...

"Do you always make it a habit of spacing out?" I jumped as i zoned back in. The memory breaking away and dissipating. Clearing my throat i swallowed.

"No.. i just... I was distracted." I trailed off again not really having a reason to continue. I didn't need him in my head. He hummed seeming to understand my thoughts. I glanced at him. His eyes trained on the monitor. Ignoring my instinct to remain quiet i spoke. "What are you working on?" I asked and he paused. Then turned to me.

"The Conquer Fear Foundation. They have had a flood of new cases recently. Especially with the cold weather. Abusers are forced to stay locked up due to the cold and this puts victims at an even more heightened risk. I'm going through the files and classifying each case." He explained. His hand gestures growing more prominent as he spoke. This man had to be Italian.

"I see..." God i'm dumb. Ask him a question... then fucking fail to show interest. That'll really bring in the conversation. Really get you brownie points. Jesus i'm such a moron. Cant even have a normal fucking conversation.

The pain grew in my chest and the immediate desire to sleep came back. The pain in my stomach growing with the irritation. Fan-fuckin-tastic.