29

Leo's POV

It was like watching a discovery being made for the first time in history. 

Gryffin was so amazing. So, fucking perfect and so downright brave. He was standing in front of the colt. It had refused to come out of the trailer before and by the time that any progress was made, my father was gone for the next farm.

 Gryffin had stood idle paying attention to every movement I'd made when trying to coax the terrified animal out. Nothing worked.  Food, no, pushing, no, touching, absolutely not, talking, obviously no. It was all just useless. I worked better with people. Understanding them a hell of a lot more than a fuckin animal. 

Gryffin though. He was remarkable. He told me to let him try and I had done so with a shrug. If the horse didn't want to move it wasn't going to. Gryffin had approached slowly, not cautiously just slow showing no force and no fear. He had looked down at the ground and, careful of his prosthetic, he sat. Just sat there. Completely still. In his hand was a carrot. The green plant hanging from the top. He was directly in the colt's line of sight. It was staring, eyes wide as it tried to escape. Gryffin took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Then meditated. Right there, in the path of a dangerous, almost fully grown, wild horse. 

Jami had opened his mouth to speak, barely starting the first letter of his name when Gryffin brought a finger to his own lips. His eyes had remained shut. Shushing Jami from across the fence line. Will, Jami, and I exchanged glances. Eyes wide. I was confused then, at what Gryffin was doing. I knew he was trying to win the colt over but was sitting in its only exit really the smartest idea.

However, not long after did the colt come stepping carefully from the trailer. It's matted mane falling against its neck, body a dull gray. Almost blue. It had eyed us causing not a single one of us to move. It had stumbled out legs achy and body tired. You could see the pain in it's movement. Approaching Gryffin with a slow pace. It had slowly sniffed the carrot, taking it in his teeth with a soft crunch. The three of us had all looked at one another in utter shock.

Gryffin had slowly opened his eyes the horse chewing on the carrot in front of him, carefully. It had sniffed around his knees not touching but breathing for information. Gryffin and the horse made eye contact and he whispered so quietly that none of us heard. The horse hesitated as if unsure. Gryffin's eyes had held nothing but happiness a smile on his lips as he whispered to the horse. 

The horse sniffed the dirt looking for more to gnaw on. It had brushed past Gryffin who had closed his eyes letting the horse step past him carefully. It eyed him as it went make sure he didn't move. When the horse turned and looked at Gryffin, I looked at him as well. 

"Is he looking at me?" Gryffin asked quietly and I nodded carefully. His eyes watching me. He had put his hands on either side of him showing off wide movements that where slow and steady, never having spooked the horse once. 

Now, hours later, Gryffin was able to approach the horse slowly. Feeding it a treat and saying words of encouragement. Just as my father came home and walked to the pen, Gryffin had made the biggest accomplishment since the horse's birth. All of us watched in bated breath. My mother, my father, my best friend, his and myself, all witnessed him reach his palm out letting the horse take the lead. Take the next step. They were eyeing one another. Neither force pushing nor pulling against each other. 

My father hesitated where he stood, and I found myself quickly looking back at the scene before us. Not wanting to miss a thing. My breath caught as I saw the look in the animal's eyes. The look of relief as it gave in. Letting go of its fear. 

Agonizing moments later and tt lent forward nose pressing into Gryffin's palm and Gryffin let out a soft huff. Eyes watering as a bright contagious smile split across his lips. He ran his hand up the nose of the animal. Scratching lightly as the horse pushed its head into his shoulder slightly. Griffin stepped back giving him space. The horse tossed its mane, letting out a small, scoffed breath. It turned slightly reaching for Gryffin's touch. He complied reaching up slowly to brush along his neck and scratch. The horse huffed looking out past the pen not minding Gryffin's presence at all. 

Gryffin smiled at me, and my heart swelled.

Amazing. 

"How long has he been in there with it?" My dad asked and I shook my head, astonished.

"Since just after we brought it in." I explained and my father turned back to the scene, eyes alight. Time passed with Gryffin approaching each of us showing the horse that he trusted us. We didn't try to get the horse to come to us. One touch was enough for the day. Gryffin placed a pail of water in the pen and a pail of feed, holding its food out to the horse so it would know what filled it. When he was done, he stepped out of the pen and locked the door. He stepped away before looking at me. I jumped when he threw his hands up a soft shout leaving his lips.

"We did it!" He exclaimed and we all walked to him. I smiled wrapping my arms around him. "He's going to be such a great horse." He said to me, and I laughed.

"Damn!" My father said and we all looked at him. "Havin y'all here is really paying off." He shoved Will with his shoulder causing Will to barely keep his footing. I laughed receiving a glare.

"Come on I know you lot are starvin." Ma charged passed us into the house. Her words not going unheard. We practically scarfed our dinner, once inside. Smiles and shouts consuming the dinner table as we ate. 

"I'm serious, Uncle Jim slapped my ass down the stairs and claimed the handprint on my shoulder was because I rolled on my own damn hand on the way down. Honestly, your uncle was such a bad influence." My dad said to me telling the others of the time he'd gotten into it with my uncle. They thought it'd be fun to take it outside, but Uncle Jim had other plans. My dad was the oldest of 3. My uncle Jim and Aunt Moira following in that order. Gryffin was laughing holding my hand on the tablecloth. Unashamed. I wasn't left-handed but if it meant touching him in any way, I'd give anything. 

"That's not as bad as Leo tossing our bong across the room on accident. He thought he saw a ghost in his face." I blushed hard as my dad threw his head back in loud laughter. 

"Leo Alexader!" It was my mother who shouted next. I flinched ready for the reprimanding. "You smoke weed!" She shouted and the table forced down their chuckles.

"I mean...." I didn't really know what to say. "I uh...." I just tapped my fork.

"Really?" She asked giving me the most disappointed look I'd ever seen. I tensed and she shook her head. "Not even gonna defend yourself?" She shook her head. 

"Oh, come on Love." My father laughed, wheezing on his chicken. "You know your friends and you smoked the Ganja every now and then." He said grabbing her hand on the table. She blushed and we all laughed. 

"I'm not mad just surprised." She stated matter-of-factly. "I'm disappointed you failed to defend your case though." She teased and i gasped. 

"Oh, I'm sorry let me conjure an excuse for ya." I mocked and she pointed her fork at me. 

The dinner ended sooner than I'd have liked. Watching my parents interact with Gryffin was otherworldly. It was so few and far between. Yet so pure and raw. I needed it carved the feeling that swelled in my chest when watching his eyes light up and their laughs at his responses. They were meant to know one another. Meant to be around each other in this life. I loved every second of it. 

When Gryffin and I got back to the room, neither of us had much to say. We simply undressed showered, curled around each other and waited for our energies to settle. By the time sleep had arrived both of us had already accepted it. 

"I love you." His voice was so quiet and vibrated against my chest. I sighed barely able to respond as i sleep pulled at me.

"I love you, Gryffin." I whispered. The words falling from my tongue contently. I wanted to say it over and over until my lips bled with the true meaning. 

The night took us both.