32

Leo's POV

The weight in my chest only grew as I dove out past my cover and leapt off the stairs. I was at Will's side, skidding along the gravel on my knees, barely registering the pain as I rolled him over carefully.

"Will!" I shouted looking over the wound. A large bullet wound sat in the left side of his upper chest. I ripped my shirt off and quickly wadded it up placing it on the bleeding wound.

He let out a loud cry, reaching shaky hands up to stop me as I applied pressure. I let out a choppy breath I was holding when I realized he was still alive. Gryffin, who had froze up when the shots went off, was now beside me, pulling Will's hands away from mine. Jami and my father were in motion around us. I could hear the truck starting and the yells they were calling to each other. I couldn't quite make them out distinctly as I stared at Will. His eyes blinking every now and then as he struggled against Gryffin's hands. 

"You're alright Will. Sit still." My voice was a strained whisper and he let out a small cry, as I pressed a bit more. I could feel the blood seeping through my fingers. I needed to keep the pressure on. Everything that followed was a blur. My father was commanding us to move him to the truck and I was doing so without question. Pulling Will's body up against me. He was heavy but I ignored it. Jami was in the truck already and with Gryffin's help We pushed him in. Jami cupping his shoulders to keep him from moving. Will was crying, eyes and body shaking. 

"Leo, there are two." I flinched, barely registering the words while looking up to Jami. He was pulling his shirt off and placing it along Will's side. The pain that shot through my heart had me almost tumbling out of the truck. I quickly gestured us to swap stepping up into the truck as Gryffin slammed the door shut behind me. I once again almost didn't register us moving. I tried to focus but settled for just taking in as much information as my brain would let me. 

Will was pale. Eyes barely opening now. But he was staying awake, he knew he need too. Jami was asking him to keep conscious and Will was gripping one of the man's hands tightly. Jami eventually just reciprocated the hold with a rough squeeze of his own. I couldn't look away from him and it felt as if time was on the slowest setting.  In the marine's I had so much control. Right now, I was completely and utterly useless. 

I don't remember much about arriving at the hospital. I remember helping lay Will on the stretcher. Him pulling at my arm and hand as they carted him away. I let go. 

***

We had been waiting a while. Gryffin's hand was in mine as I leaned against him. He didn't care about the blood all over any of us. He was eyeing everything with quick and nervous eyes. Then there were officers talking to us.

One asking us our names and what had happened. He ran my name, my fathers and Jami's then Gryffin's. We were standing our hands clenched together as a doctor went running into the room where they had taken Will. I looked at Gryffin, my eyes must have been shouting all my fears because he gave me a hurt look. 

Then the officer in front of us spoke. "Gentlemen, I'm sorry to do this but for the safety of everyone here. Mr. Varland I am going to have to ask you to step away from your boyfriend and place your hands behind your back." I snapped my eyes to look at the officer then at Gryffin who flinched but began pulling away. I held tightly.

"The fuck?" I said my voice scratchy. "He is doing no such fuckin thing."  The officer put his hand out in front of him, slightly placing his hand on his belt. Near his taser.  

"Sir I am unsure if you understand the situation, but you are going to have to step away and calm down."

"You...!"

"Leo." Gryffin was pulling me back some. "Stop. It's alright."  He turned and gestured to the officer with a finger and positioned his body between the officer and me. 

"They can't..."

"They can." He cut me off. Leaning up to look at me. "They don't know anything about me now other than my record. It's protocol that I can't be around weapons. After everything that happened, they can only assume."

"But that's not what...!" Gryffin flinched clenching onto my shoulders. 

"Leo! Stop!" He said and it was my turn to flinch. Taking in the anger. "I don't like it either, but it will only make it worse. You need to be there for Will, and I can't be the reason you're not. I'll be fine." He stepped back but I tilted my head down towards his. 

"But what if I won't be..." I whispered and a gloss formed over his eyes. He leaned up and kissed my lips, for only a moment. Then, as he pulled away, the officer was cuffing his hands. Angrily I stepped forward, but he shook his head. 

"I will tell them everything." He nodded at his words as if preparing himself. My eyes widened at what he meant. "They will have Corbin and Dominic in custody by the end of the night." He gave me a strained smile and I swallowed. My father was standing down the hall hands clenched. Face of stone. I looked back at Gryffin. The officer spoke.

"I am placing you under arrest for the belief of constructive possession. Until further investigation you will be placed under criminal watch at the station and questioned. You have the right to remain silent...." The officer continued to speak Gryffin's rights, but he wasn't paying attention. He was staring at me, and I was swelling with anger. 

"I love you." He whispered and my entire body seized. They pulled him away and I stepped forward only to be grabbed by my father. I yanked away from him as the swell of emotion pooled into me, but he held strong. I was pulled into his arms as the pain took over. The cry leaving my lips when I pushed against my father's hold. He just held me. 

What the hell was going on!?