5

So the next morning, i got up without the greatest amount of sleep, threw on what few appropriate clothes i had. Then marched my ass to Lee Cafe. Where i arrived at the back door, ten minutes to six.

Knocking softly. The door opened revealing an oddly enough, tired looking Gena. She smiled none the less and stepped out.

"Good morning." She said walking around her truck as i followed.

"Morning." I caught the tail gate as she dropped it down.

"Just 3 today. Not to bad." She said and i gabbed one in each hand following her back inside. "This time place them on the sink counter around the corner." She said while grabbing what looked like a bag of chocolate milk. I headed around the corner and placed the creates in front of me on top of a larg metal table. A sink sat in the middle with a large sprayer that hung from the ceiling. I headed back out and grabbed the last one shutting the tailgate behind me. Then carried it inside, closing the door as well. Once i was done i found her up front and she smiled.

"Done?" I nodded and she reached down pulling out an apron. "I know you're not gonna wanna wear it but you will thank me later when you arnt covered in stains and other liquids." I took it without arguing and put it on tying it and securing it over my head. She nodded. "Fantastic. Now," She handed me a damp cloth and a dry towel. "just do a sweep light scrubbing of the tables and seats. Any missed garbage pick up and dont forget drying them before i turn on the open sign. We open at 630. If there is a mess on the floor let me know or the broom and dustpan are in the utility closet around the hall here." She pointed, " Any books left out by the shelf, Book mark them and place them in a neat stack on the tall round table. Thats for our customers who read and lose their place. They know where to grab their books. Other than those things let me know when ur done and we will grab a cup of energy and chat." She beamed while running off into the kitchen. I hesitated glancing back before stepping into motion.

The place was quaint. Round tables littered the room as well as couches and floor mats short tables. Some bar ones as well. The nook in the corner was filled with books. So many lying about but only a few left open. I started with those grabbing the free stack of markers and stacking them neatly back in a pile on the tall table she mentioned. Then worked on carefully saving each book's place. After all 6 were stacked up i went to wiping down tables. The chairs as well. I surveyed the floor making note that there was no garbage or dirt.

Once done i made my way back behind the counter as she came out with a draw for the register. She plopped it in and shut it looking at me as i approached. "All done?" I nodded and she smiled.

"Alright ill have you just watched today as we make the coffees. I'm gonna brew a regular roast and show you that and we can have our cup." I nodded as she began explaining all the buttons and amount of scoops. We then sat down and talked while prepping coffee. She then opened the store. Almost immediately customers arrived. Some smiled and talked a bit others just ordered and left. I sat patiently observing her interactions. A few glanced at me and some made comments, but she righted their minds telling them i was training and that they'd better be nice or she'd take away their coffee rights. They all laughed and smiled at me. Waving or nodding to which i responded as best i could.

By noon I was doing dishes and cleaning tables. I honestly didn't mind though. It was like i was actually doing something worth the effort for once. Her smile every time i told her i was done or it was finished was enough for me to want to do more.

"Wolf!" She shouted from the front and i quickly headed out into the lobby. She smiled and waved me over. An older lady was standing at the counter. "Wolf this is Mrs. V" She said and the older woman smiled.

"Oh handsome." She said and i cleared my throat.

"Mrs. V this is Wolf. Todays his first day." Gena said and the old lady's smile only grew she reached over and clasped my hands. Hers were so cold i almost flinched.

"Oh that is so good to hear... I'm so glad you get to experience the quality of cafe life." She rasped at me and i nodded.

"It's nice to meet you." I said trying my best to not be uncomfortable. She released my hands and touched Gena's arm.

"Do tell, you enjoy it yes?" She asked me and i nodded.

"Very much ma'am. Gena is awesome to work with and the job is great." I cleared my throat trying to sound sincere.

"Lovely.. Lovely. Oh Lee will you walk me to the car please. My bones are as achy as ever." She said and Gena nodded before pausing.

"One moment Omma, let me ring up this customer." She ran off quick and i swallowed before gesturing to the older woman.

"I can take you Mrs. V" I said and she grinned.

"Oh would you. That would be splendid. I'm just out front." I nodded leading her through the cafe and out the door. The bell rang as we excited and i held her weight as we made it to the car.

"Oh gee, my love who is this you have with you?" An old man came around the vehicle and gestured to me while putting his arm out for Mrs. V

"This is Wolf, Dear. He's Lee's new staff." She explained excitedly and he narrowed his eyes but nodded as he took his wife and helped her into the front seat. "Thank you wolf. I;m delighted to have met you." She sang as Gena ran out and to the door.

"Ah Oppa good morning," He tipped his hat stepping away as they spoke.

"Morning lass." He turned to me as Gena spoke to Mrs. V. "You of good intention." He suddenly said and i tensed a bit, "That young lady is a daughter to me." He said and i swallowed.

"Of course. She's becoming a really good friend. I wouldn't let anything happen." I said and he tilted his head up. Eyeing me before letting out a breath.

"Gena needs people her life. Don't let her run you away. Unless you bad omen then scat. Other wise i be needen you to stick around for the sake of keepin her sane. She'd go crazy if she doesnt find some one to get her out of this shop." He trailed as we watched her laugh with the older woman.

"Well, we arent close like that." I said and he tsked.

"Close or not your both old enough to grab a drink. And adult drink. So share your youth. Both of ya." He said before hobbling off to the car. "Alrighty lass we best be headin along." He said and i quickly headed inside watching them bid fairwell.

"Excuse me could i get a straw?" I jumped and the voice before making eye contact with a customer. Nodding i headed off and grabbed a straw handing it to them they smiled and ran back to their seat. The day ended quickly, her sending me home before i could clean up. Her saying. A full shift is done no need to open and close. But.. she had trailed off running out of the room then back in with an envelope. She handed it to me. ' This is you check and tips. Ill see you tomorrow same time." She said and i nodded thanking her and left once again a weight lifted off my shoulders.

The next day was the same except no surprise visit from special guests. Only a slow day. That evening i went home to Jami sitting on the couch.

"Mijo!" He shouted as i entered. "Whats up you've been out?" He said and i smiled.

"I got a job." He beemed yanking me to the seat. Handing me a beer.

"Explain."