CHAPTER 9

"So, how was it? Your engagement?"

Jatin asked Raghav who was driving the car. He just came back from Mumbai, after his engagement with Pallavi to finish some important work. Pallavi too came back from Mumbai, to attend some program at her college and also to extend her leave.

"I don't know. There was my family and there was her family. First there was some pooja at her home. Then we were made to exchange rings and.  . .that's it."

"That's it? Dude you are getting married in one week. Aren't you excited?"

Excited? Am I? Instead of feeling excited I have started to feel an unknown fear. I don't know the source of the same. When I touched her hands to put ring on it, she was shivering. We looked into each others eyes for a while. All I felt that moment was guilt. In someway, I am forcing her into this relationship but the next moment the Raghav Rao inside me yelled that 'she need to do this for your sister; in fact for the sake of her own's brother's relationship.' 

I could see through her eyes; she was kind of doubtful and afraid about this new stage in her life. I felt like hugging her tightly and telling her that, I will be there with you, from now on, no matter what happens. But I didn't do anything. Instead I sighed and put that ring on her finger and she did the same.

 Instead I sighed and put that ring on her finger and she did the same

Our families cheered for us in happiness. Everyone was happy in that room, except for the two of us. For the first time in my life, I felt gratitude towards someone outside my family and that was Pallavi. 

While we gathered together in the garden for the family dinner, she said that she is going back to Hyderabad  after two days and will come back for the wedding. I also wanted to go back to Hyderabad, partly because I need to complete some pending works and partly because I felt a need to escape from this atmosphere.

So our families came with this plan that both of us should go for shopping together in Hyderabad, in order to select the Mangal sutra. We looked at each other and then nodded. Well. now we have to start practicing the act of 'the perfect husband and wife' in front of our families right?

For a moment, when our families were busy discussing the rest of the arrangements, I got some alone moments with my future wife. We were sitting next to each other and she was looking everywhere but not at me.

"Pallavi?"

She slowly turned her head and looked at me.

"Are you okay?"

She was silent for a moment.