fourteen

Leilani

"Here's a hot towel."

Leilani rolled to the opposite side where Amir stood holding a towel.

"It's for your eyes." he said laying it across her eyes.

Leilani laid on her back so the towel wouldn't slide. "Thanks."

Amir nodded, then remembered she couldn't see him. "You're welcome."

They sat in silence for a little while until Amir asked her a question. "So...you're pregnant?"

Leilani laughed dryly. "So you heard the conversation?"

"Not all of it. Only when yo dad yelled, and you yelled back. Which also surprised me cause I never heard you raise your voice." Amir said.

"I'm not pregnant anymore." Leilani cleared his assumption. "I had an abortion because of my situation, and other shit I know I couldn't have provided for a child..."

Leilani pulled the towel from over her eyes to see his reaction. She figured he wouldn't want to be around her anymore after saying that. So she just looked at him waiting for him to say something.

Amir hummed sucking in his bottom lip in deep thought. "I kinda figured...but at the same time I thought your period was on...I didn't want to assume anything out loud. Plus, some things you did, and they way you acted sometimes gave it away."

"How did I act?" Leilani asked curious to hear what he was going to say. She didn't think she acted suspicious or anything.

Amir chuckled. "That day in class...when you were typing an essay and I asked how far along are you, and you replied like you were taken off guard." Amir said looking at her. "That's the first time. The second time was yesterday."

"...yesterday?"

"Yeah. When you had my shirt on I seen yo lil bump." Amir said.

Leilani sat up in the bed to pull her shirt up a little. "I didn't think it was noticeable—."

"It's cool though. That wasn't the biggest problem in my eyes. Keeping that nigga away from you was my main concern. Especially when he put his hands on you." Amir said rubbing his thumb over the scar by her lip.

Leilani stared at him. She expected Amir to run away from her after knowing she was pregnant up until yesterday, and be upset with her since she was also laying in the same bed as him.

Amir's an understanding person, and Leilani noticed that the first few times they hung out. Still, she didn't expect him to act the way he is now.

She wasn't use to it.

"You have me now, so fuck Thomas with his trifling, sorry excuse for a man ass." Amir said with a straight face.

Leilani tried to hold back the smile and laugh but she couldn't. She laughed out loud with a wide smile. "Ah, Thomas. Laughing my ass off, literally."

Amir mugged her. "What's so funny?"

"You said Thomas instead of Tyrell." Leilani said still laughing.

She wiped her eyes calming down. "You sir are a comedian."

"Goofy ass laugh at anything." Amir said laughing a little.

"I ain't laughed like this in months...it felt good." Leilani said honestly.

"You're smile too." Amir said replaying the smile she had when she was laughing over in his head.

Leilani smiled again. "Let's go downstairs. You're gonna stay the night, right?"

Amir scratched his head. It was still early, and he planned to spend the holiday on campus. He also didn't want to be in the way of her family.

Leilani noticed the look on his face. "You don't have to if you don't want to. I don't wanna force you to do something you don't want."

Amir waved her off. He didn't have family to celebrate with since his parents stopped speaking to him during his last year in high school because of some trouble he had caused.

"I'll stay if it's ok with yo' parents." Amir said.

"I'm ok with it, so it doesn't matter, but ok. Let's go down." Leilani said jumping out of the bed.

They made their way downstairs. Leilani parents were laid up on the living room's couch watching a Christmas movie.

"Dang. Watching movies without us." Leilani said.

She looked at her dad to see if he had calmed down. From how he acted earlier, she didn't even know he could get that upset.

Levi just nodded his head letting her know he was alright. Leilani smiled grabbing Amir's hand, pulling him to the two seat couch.

Lisa paused the movie looking at the two of them get comfortable on the couch. Leilani's head rest on Amir's shoulder while his arm rested on the top of the couch.

"What?" Leilani asked looking up when she noticed she paused the tv.

"Nothing. Are you staying the night Amir?." Lisa smiled looking at Amir.

Amir looked at Leilani, but Leilani lightly smiled at him. "Yes ma'am, I was thinking about it since Lani asked earlier."

"Oh, we don't mind at all. We enjoy company." Lisa said smiling brightly.

Amir nodded while smiling back. "Thank you."

*****

Amir climbed into Leilani's bed getting comfortable almost immediately.

He didn't have any clothes to sleep in so he went to the dollar store and grabbed him a t-shirt, and pajama pants.

Leilani stared at him. The way he looked in the dimly lit room was amazing in her eyes.

She reached her hand out to play with his ear. Something she loved to do, and felt good to him.

They watched each other without saying a word. They both were happy that they'd become so comfortable with each other in less than a month.

So much happened back to back, they had no choice but to spend time together.

"What do you want for Christmas?" Amir asked her closing his eyes.

Leilani hummed looking at his ear. She didn't really think about that. She wasn't worried about getting something anyways.

"I already received what I wanted." she smiled.

"What's that?"

"Freedom...and cold weather." she chuckled.

Amir nodded. "I'm happy you got your freedom, but this weather kicking my ass."

"I love it...it's not too cold yet so I'm ok. Plus, it doesn't matter since it's almost Christmas, it's meant to be cold."

"Mmhm. You're right..." Amir hummed while slowly drifting off to sleep. Amir was laid close to her. Their body heat made the night even better keeping each other warm.

Leilani put her leg over his, falling asleep herself. "Night." she mumbled.

"Goodnight, Lani." Amir said back.

They both fell asleep without second thought.

___________

I wanna do a time jump just because they've been in the same month the whole time.

Next chapter will be longer.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it's maybelline.

Excuse any mistakes