Twenty-five

Leilani
the next day

"That's all for today. Please remember to have a great summer break. Don't forget to return your books to the bookstore by tomorrow." the professor said as everyone got up to leave.

Leilani lazily threw her book bag over her shoulders, walking out with everyone else.

She returned everything already and just wanted to go home and relax.

"Lani."

Leilani looked to her right seeing Amir standing a few feet from her. She smiled, and her energy instantly went up.

"Hey." Leilani greeted with a hug.

Amir hugged her back. "Why you looking so mean?"

"I was ready to go, and that room was way too cold." Leilani said as they began to walk down the hall.

"You'll feel much better when the sun hit you." Amir said looking at her as they kept walking.

Leilani groaned. "Yes, the hot ass May sun that'll make you sweat as soon as you step outside for 5 seconds."

Amir wrapped his arm around her shoulder as they walked. "I know a way to cool you down."

Leilani poked his rib cage. "Stop being nasty."

"Wanna stay over tonight? Amir asked once they got in his car.

Leilani buckled her seatbelt before answering. "I be over your place more than I be at mine."

"Oh?" Amir asked looking at her. "You do that on your own though. This is my first time asking."

"Shh." Leilani waved him off. "They can hear you."

Amir scrunched his face up. "What the hell are you talking about?" he asked looking around the almost empty campus parking lot.

"I'm playing. Scaredy cat." Leilani laughed. "Of course I'll stay over, Amir."

"Never scared." Amir said starting the car up. He held his right hand open for her to hold his hand.

Leilani held his hand with a smile. "Thought you weren't scared."

"You just bring me comfort." Amir said driving off.

Leilani grabbed his phone to play some music. "What should I play?" she asked her self scrolling through the songs.

"You already know you're about to play a song about girls talking shit about niggas." Amir said.

Leilani nodded. "You're right. Unless you wanted to listen to a song about niggas talking shit about girls?"

Amir chuckled. "Gospel music."

Leilani laughed. "Take me to the king."

"Hell nah. Not while we driving." Amir said. "What're you tryna tell the universe?"

Leilani waved him off typing in a song to play. "Lovers and friends." Leilani sung under her breath.

Amir looked at Leilani when the beat of the song started to play. "You tryna be funny?"

"Not at all baby." Leilani smiled. "You cool or whatever." she said playing the song.

Amir smacked his lips. "Tuh."

"Tuh." Leilani mocked.

"You cool too." Amir said. "Wanna be cooler?"

"Can it get anymore cool than this?" Leilani teased leaning back in her seat looking out of the window.