twenty-four

Leilani
May 3rd (birthday)

Leilani stood in the mirror of her bathroom curling her hair. She didn't really have anything planned for today, but she wanted to hang out with Amir like always.

Leilani also wanted the picture Amir painted.

She didn't have any classes today which made her day even better.

After combing through the curls, Leilani flipped her hair over her shoulders doing a few poses. "A baddie." she said with a smile.

Her phone rung on her bathroom counter. The ringtone she sat for her parents.

She quickly picked it up and put it on speaker. "Hi mommy." she said happily.

"Hey Lani, happy 24th birthday!" Lisa sung sweetly over the phone.

Leilani smiled. "Thank you!"

"Happy birthday!" Levi yelled from the background. "Come open the door!"

After he said that, knocks were heard at the door. Leilani laughed hanging up the phone. She skipped to the door, immediately being attacked with hugs from her mom and dad.

They had gift bags in their hands along with two balloons that said "happy birthday".

They laid everything down in the living room on her coffee table.

"We got you some things. Late housewarming gifts, and personal stuff also." Lisa said kissing Leilani's forehead. "You look so pretty today."

"You look pretty everyday, Lani." Levi said.

Lisa bumped him. "She knows that. I'm saying she look happier than the last time I saw her. Skin is glowing. She even have a dimple now." Lisa teased.

Leilani giggled. "Aw stop it."

"Here. Open your gifts." Levi said motioning for Leilani to have a seat on the couch. They both sat on her sides.

"It's nothing that expensive." Lisa said bumping her shoulder.

Leilani nodded opening one of the bags. She pulled an iPad box out. She smiled sitting it on her lap while opening it. Leilani unwrapped the plastic from over the screen holding the pink iPad.

"This is so cute." she grinned from ear to ear. "With my name on the back, ok then me."

"Don't forget the pencil too. I know you said you was thinking about getting an iPad for school, so we got you one." Lisa said.

"Thank y'all." Leilani said laying it back in the box. She went to the next bag.

It was a camera. Along with other camera accessories. "I've been wanting a camera for so long. For storing memories, instead of my phone all of the time."

She opened the box, powering the camera on. Leilani held the camera up to take a picture of her and her parents.

She smiled holding up the peace sign. Lisa and Levi did the same thing. "Cheese." Leilani said taking the the picture.

"Aww. Y'all are so beautiful." Leilani said smiling at the picture.

"Beautiful people make beautiful children." Lisa said.

Leilani nodded.

Levi side eyed Lisa. "Not all the time."

Lisa reached across Leilani to slap the back of his head. "Stop being mean."

She grabbed the last big bag taking out the colorful confetti. It was all of her favorite snacks and juices.

"Y'all said it wasn't nothing expensive but gave me an iPad and a camera." Leilani said. "I'm grateful though, so don't get that wrong."