twenty-six

Leilani

Rolling over in Amir's bed, Leilani reached out to his side feeling his spot was cold. She opened her eyes to the empty bed. Sighing, she sat up and did a few stretches before getting out of the bed. Leilani grabbed her phone checking the time.

"7:46." she mumbled.

Laying it back on the dresser, she made my way to the bathroom to brush her teeth, then out to the living room.

"Good morning." Amir greeted from his couch.

Leilani sat beside him with her head on his shoulder. "Good morning... how long have you been up?"

Amir shrugged wrapping his arms around her waist. "About 5 hours."

"5 hours? What was wrong?" Leilani asked.

She stared at him waiting for an answer. He seemed like he didn't really want to talk about it, but decided to say something anyway.

Amir laid her head on his chest. He rubbed her back a little. "Just got Shawn on my mind... nigga been with me since 3rd grade, and he just crossed me like that."

Amir chuckled dryly. "Now he's dead. All over some bullshit."

Leilani held onto his arm. "...well maybe he knew what he was getting himself into... and he knew the consequences." Leilani paused realizing she didn't know Shawn like that. "For whatever he was doing."

"You're right... he did. Nothing I can do about it now." Amir mumbled.

Leilani wrapped her arms on his sides. "Besides whatever was going on the other day... might've been a misunderstanding."

She looked up at him. "It is what it is tho, Amir."

Amir nodded not saying anything else. He kissed her forehead and they both fell asleep on the couch after a while.

*****

"Hey Lani?" Amir called out from his room to Leilani who was in the kitchen.

"Yeah?" Leilani answered.

She heard his footsteps coming to where she was. He sat down at the table. He looked at her tapping his phone on the table. "Wanna meet my mom?"

Leilani failed to hold her smile back. "Of course."

Amir nodded. "How about today then?"

"Today?" Leilani asked feeling nervous all of a sudden.

"Yeah, since I have to take her to the airport today. She's going to visit my dad in Australia for about a week." Amir said.

Leilani sat at the table across from him. "What time... are we leaving?"

"Hmm... around 1. She have to be at the airport by 3, and you know how traffic is." Amir laughed. "You nervous?"

Leilani nodded. "A little."

"Ain't nothing to be worried about, Lani." Amir said reaching out to rub her hands. "She'll love you."

"I hope so." Leilani smiled.

She stood up. "Well, imma go get ready. Call me when you want to leave."

Amir nodded. Leilani left his apartment to go back to hers to get ready.

*****

Amir knocked at his mother's door.

Leilani was nervous because she didn't really have time to prepare her thoughts, but if his mother was like him in ways, then she had nothing to be worried about.

Amir held onto her hand while swinging it back and forth a little.

"Amir, you always show up early. Look at you." His mom said giving him a hug and a overlook of his clothes, hair, and everything else.

"Hey ma." Amir laughed.

His mom finally looked over at Leilani. "Oh, who are you?"

"Ma, you know this my girl, Lani." Amir said.

She looked at Leilani. "Oh shit, she sure is. Sorry, I don't know where my glasses are. You're so pretty, come on inside and get out of the heat."

They followed her into the living room. "You can call me Andrea or ma. Whatever you're comfortable with."

"Yes ma'am." Leilani said with a nervous laugh.

Andrea pointed at Amir. "Have he been treating you good? He should with the way he talks about you. You would think he was talking about a wife if you didn't know him well enough."

Leilani smiled. "He has. He's helped me out a lot so I don't even know how to repay him."

"I'm glad he is. If he gives you any type of trouble, call me and I'll fix his ass real quick." Andrea said zipping up a bag and putting it on her shoulder.

"Ma please." Amir said grabbing her two suitcases.

He handed Leilani his mom's purse and water bottle. "Carry these."

"Anyways, Lani I would love to see you more often. Maybe when I get back from my trip, we can talk more." Andrea nodded as Amir opened the front door for them. "Don't wait around for Amir to bring you. He only stopped by twice this year. He only call me."

Amir mugged her. "Ma, I come by every 2 weeks if I can. Don't tell that lie."

"So you calling me a liar?" Andrea asked.

"See what I got to deal with?" Amir whispered to Leilani. "Ma come on. We gotta hurry up."

About an hour later after traffic and many conversations, they finally got to the airport.

Andrea hugged both of them and they watched her leave. They would've stayed until she boarded her flight but they decided to just go back home since they didn't have anything planned.

"She's so nice." Leilani said in the car. "I should get her something when she comes back but I don't know what it should be."

"She ight when she wanna be. I told you that she cool tho. Wasn't nothing to be nervous about. That woman don't like anyone."

Leilani chuckled. "Wonder what Andrea and my mom would be like together."

"I think ma would scare Lisa off." Amir said.

"She most likely need to be scared by somebody." Leilani laughed.

Amir held her hand. "Let's go home and watch a movie."

"The perfect plan." Leilani nodded once they finally made it home.

__________

*sigh* I should've stayed a child

How should I end this cause I feel like I'm dragging it? 😭 year time skip since they're a couple now? Then end ts happily.

Excuse any mistakes 🫶🏾