twenty-nine

Leilani
May

"You look so nice, Lani." Lisa said straightening the few wrinkles in Leilani's graduation dress out. "Do you have makeup on? It look like it."

Leilani smiled. "Thank you, and no I don't. Just lashes and lipgloss."

Lisa stared at her for a few seconds. "Wow. You're glowing."

Lisa put her hands on her hips. "You're not pregnant, are you?"

"No, I'm not." Leilani laughed shaking her head.

"Just checking." Lisa said. Levi walked into the apartment with graduation balloons.

"There's nothing to check." Leilani said with a smile.

"Look at you. About to graduate college." Levi said looking her up and down. "I remember when you were about 6 or 7, running around here in bows and now you're a beautiful 25 year old. Damn time flys by."

Leilani smiled. "Don't cry."

"Who's crying? Not me." Levi said. "Amir is gonna cry cause imma give him a bottle of liquor for graduation."

"His liver is gonna cry." Leilani mumbled grabbing her cap, placing it on her head. "You know he can't say no to you."

"Exactly." Levi said grabbing a bag had with him. "I'll be back in 10."

Leilani and Lisa watched him leave. "He might steal my boyfriend." Leilani said.

"Shit, if anything, somebody need to steal me." Lisa sighed dropping on the couch.

"Ma, should I do my eyebrows a little?"

"No, they're fine."

"Cool." Leilani said. "We should head out now."

*****

Leilani was trying to find Amir before graduation started. She texted him, but she didn't really know where anything was at her school because she didn't really socialize or explore her campus to the fullest.

She was kind of lost, and was following the signs on the wall.

Leilani heard crying from a classroom. She looked around noticing one door was halfway closed. She walked over to it, knocking softly.

"Are you ok?" she asked looking around the room but didn't see anyone but still her sniffing and heavy breathing.

Leilani walked all the way into the room finally see a got around her age sitting in a corner with her cap and gown beside her. Leilani walked over to her and squatted down in front of her.

"Hey." she greeted softly to the girl. "What's wrong?"

The girl looked up at her with tears in her eyes. "I-I can't—" she stuttered touching her neck while breathing heavily.

Leilani sat down next to her and rubbed her back. "Can you focus on breathing more slowly? In and out three times, ok?"

The girl nodding following along with Leilani breathing in and then out a few times until she felt better.

"Focus on me." Leilani said making the girl look at her. "You're so pretty, what's the matter? Are you feeling better?"

The girl nodded. "Thank you, and I feel a little better." she was still shaking a little but felt way better. "I have panic attacks when I'm really nervous. I don't know why when I didn't even have one when I graduated high school or gave a speech."

Leilani nodded. "They're random right? Do you think you can go out now?"

"Yes, and yes."

They stood up from the floor. Leilani helped brush her dress off and put on her gown and helped with her cap.