twenty-two

Leilani
3 months later..
May 1st

"You think you can sit there for a few hours?" Amir asked Leilani setting the big size canvas up.

He let Leilani play some music from her phone on the speaker until they were done.

Leilani nodded sitting on the couch of their college art room. Amir wasn't in any club, but he asked the club members to let him use the room for the day.

Amir was doing a "nude" painting of Leilani. She was actually naked, but it looked like she was with the thin sheet over her chest and upper body.

"I can just fall asleep if I want to, right?" Leilani asked.

"Of course." Amir said tying the apron around his neck and waist.

She did her own makeup. It was nothing but her short lashes, lightly filled in eyebrows, concealer under her eyes, above her lips, and a little under her eyes brows.

She also added small rhinestones under her eyes.

Leilani leaned against the armrest of the couch letting the sheet flow onto the floor. She grabbed her book that Amir got her for Christmas and decided to read it to keep herself entertained.

"Let me know if you're uncomfortable or need a break." Amir said grabbing his pencil to sketch Leilani.

"Ok." Leilani softly said opening the book from where she left off.

The music in Leilani's ears relaxed her whole body. She almost felt like she was at home, but maybe it was because she was around Amir.

She honestly didn't really understand why she felt that way. Is it..love?

She cut her eyes at Amir who was too busy looking up and back down to notice. From the way his haircut shaped his face down to the shoes he wore, she liked it all.

She giggled to herself, turning back to her book. She stared blankly at the page in thought.

I know I like him...and he likes me, but are we moving too fast?

She tilted her head. "It's been almost 6 months." she muttered to herself.

"What's wrong, Lani?" Amir asked her.

Leilani shook her head giving him a smile. "Nothing. Don't worry."

"Alright now." Amir said sounding like an old man.

She put her focus back on her book. She half way through with it, and wanted to to start on another soon.

"When I'm done drawing sketching you can move a little if you want."

Leilani nodded giving him a thumb up not taking her eyes off the book.

*****

Tyrell

"Hey take it easy." Dj, one of Tyrell's homegirls said taking the liquor bottle away from him. He was chugging it like it was water.

Tyrell snatched it out of her hands. "I'm good. The fuck.."

Dj snatched it right back. "You're gonna be ugly as fuck when you get old if you keep drinking and smoking whatever the fuck it is that you smoke."

Tyrell looked up at her. Obviously high and drunk from whatever he could put his hands on.

"What I do with my life ain't got nothing to do with you." Tyrell mugged her. "Give me the bottle."

"I honestly don't care, but you invited me over cause you been in yo' feelings ever since that girl left you. Grow up. Get a fucking job, and move on!" Dj yelled stressed.