Chp - 26

Zayn called an early meeting with everyone's presence but before he can begin his proceedings, he was stopped by the religious scholars.

"As-Salaam-Alaikum janab" Zayn greeted them.

"Wa-Alaikum-Salaam"

"I expected a grand welcome but you seem to be stopping me from entering" Zayn sensed this is going to be ugly.

"I'm sure there is a big reason you all gathered here" 

"We have a valid reason to come here. The subjects and religious scholars expect from a king to respect the rules and laws of our religion but what you did is against our rules" Sheikh Hasib Noor,the head of all the religious scholars said. 

"Janab, let's sit together and talk peacefully, I'm sure we can discuss together and find a solution to this problem" Trishna gestured them to take their respective place in the court.

"No, queen Patricia we can no longer sit in the assembly where the king has forgotten his dignity" 

"Your wife is a harlot. You married a lowly woman who lost her dignity, virtue, she belonged to the place where all the flithy rats of the kingdom live with selling their bodies, you have disrespected our religious believe by marrying her" They all were showing their disappointment on their faces.  

Whispers rose among the subjects.

"King Zayn married a harlot"

"How can he do this ?"

"How can he tarnish the reputation of his father and disrespect his ancestors ?"

Zayn's jaw clenched, veins popping on his neck. They are insulting his wife in front of everyone. Harriet silently tolerated their words.

"I know what our religion teaches us, I accept my mistake by keeping it as a secret. But do tell me one thing. Is it in our religion to rape a woman ? Does our religion teaches us to kill an innocent ? Is it the teachings of our religion that you all are disrespecting a woman with your vicsious words ?"

"And above everything, it's my personal matter. It's between me and my wife. As a husband I don't care what my wife's past life was. If a woman is found in a brothel that does not mean she willingly sold herself" Zayn does not care what these people think of harriet, the only thing he knows or cares about is, harriet is his wife, he loves her and no one is going to change that.

"It's no longer your personal matter your majesty, the throne you sits on, this empire which you are ruling was built by our ancestors and this  woman you are calling as your wife has tarnished it by sitting beside you" They pointed at harriet with disgust in their eyes.

Now, harriet knew which look najma was talking about when she explained her story. 

"We have tolerated everything silently when you bought those disgraced woman from wars and sheltered them in this palace but this is unacceptable, a woman equal to them cannot be our queen, we won't accept it"