invisible

Claire was both dreading and looking forward to the first day of school. Mrs. Weasley had spent the past few weeks making them clean every crevice of the house, but it hadn't done much good. She was excited to see Draco again, and her other friends, but she always felt different at Hogwarts, like she didn't belong.

Which was why she wasn't sure why the Prefect badge fell out of her letter.

"I-I made prefect!" Hermione gasped. Claire stuffed her badge back into her letter and decided that she would ask Professor Dumbledore to ask someone else. She smiled brightly at her friend.

"'Mione, that's brilliant! I knew it would be you."

"I bet Harry made prefect for Gryffindor too!" Hermione said excitedly. Claire didn't want to ruin her good mood by telling her that she would be stuck doing rounds with Ron, so she just followed along. Claire furrowed her eyebrows in confusion when they walked into the room to see Harry holding the badge.

"Oh, I knew it!" Hermione exclaimed, going to hug Harry, but he hurried to pass the badge over.

"It's Ron, not me," Harry said quickly.

"Oh, oh, that's...great," Hermione finally said. Ron didn't look too excited, especially when the twins popped into the room.

"Oh, look George, little Ronnie made prefect," Fred teased.

"Watch it. He can give detentions now," Hermione threatened. Fred and George looked as if that was the funniest thing that they've ever heard.

"You lot better have your lists ready for me," Mrs. Weasley announced. She looked stressed as she came into the room, so Claire helped her pass out the laundry. "Ron, put that down and come help too."

"Mum, look," Ron said. Mrs. Weasley finally looked up and saw that Ron had the prefect badge. Her face dropped and she shoved the basket into Claire's arms to go hug Ron, who looked upset that he had mentioned it.

"Oh, that's everyone in the family!" Mrs. Weasley gasped.

"What are we, next-door neighbors?" The twins said at the same time. Mrs. Weasley gave them an affectionate pet on the cheek as if to remind them that she still loved them.

"And you, dear?" Mrs. Weasley asked Hermione, who grinned and nodded.

"Oh, we'll have to have a party to celebrate," Mrs. Weasley gasped. She was beaming from ear to ear. "And what do you want, Ron? To celebrate?"

"Like, a gift?" Ron asked.

"Of course!" Mrs. Weasley told him. "All your brothers got gifts."

"Could I maybe get a broom?" Ron asked sheepishly. Mrs. Weasley's face fell and Ron hurried to continue. "It doesn't even have to be a good one. Just a broom."

"We'll see what we can do," Mrs. Weasley promised him. She collected the school lists, looking a little dejected at the many items.

"I wonder who made Slytherin prefects," Hermione pondered as she sat on Harry's bed. Claire looked at her hands and didn't respond.

"Probably Malfoy and Parkinson," Ron said, a disgusted look on his face.

"Oh, I hope not. I can't imagine the two of them being in charge. It's bad enough that they're together. Especially since Pansy is always all over him," Hermione agreed.

"I better help Mrs. Weasley," Claire said suddenly, standing up and hurrying out of the room.

"Claire, you dropped your...prefects badge," Harry called after her, his voice dropping when when he realized he was the only one without a badge.