amortentia

As always, the first week of Hogwarts was interesting.

First, Professor Snape had gotten the role of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Many students had decided not to continue with Potions just to get away from the man, so it was evident that no one was happy about the change.

Professor Slughorn was the new Potions professor, and he was already making new changes. He accepted more levels of students in his advanced classes, and he created what he called the 'Slug Club'. His first meeting on the train had left Harry wanting nothing to do with the man. As he complained to Claire, Slughorn cared more about who could get him fifteen minutes of fame than about being a professor. Blaise was the only of the quartet who had been invited, which made Theo and Draco upset. Claire had to hear them whine for days until Blaise told them that he didn't care for the man and didn't plan on going to any more meetings.

"Blaise, I'm being completely serious. Kill me now."

"Theo, I cannot express how much I wish I could do that, but Claire would get mad and put me in detention."

Theo looked at Claire, who nodded solemnly. Theo let out a wail and then put his head on Blaise's shoulder, who pushed him off. Theo bumped into Draco, who shoved him right back. Theo wailed once more as he fell onto the ground.

"I'm going to put all of you in detention!" Claire threatened. Blaise and Theo jokingly begged to be spared while Draco just winked at her. The girl rolled her eyes and entered the Potions room, sitting next to Hermione in the basically empty first row. The three boys sat behind them, immediately starting to joke around and make bets about the new professor.

"She should be here," Hermione whispered. Claire frowned and nodded, lightly squeezing the girl's hand. Draco leaned forward and put a Hershey's bar on the desk. Claire furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and turned to see him wink at her. Hermione muttered a thank you and the frown that had plagued her turned into a smile for just a moment.

Professor Slughorn came into the room not long after, carrying three different cauldrons with him. Claire scrunched up her nose at the first one, while the second one made her smile. When she got a whiff of the third one, time seemed to freeze. She couldn't hear Slughorn as he talked and she barely noticed Harry and Ron coming into the room. All she could pay attention to was the smell of Draco's cologne, leather jackets, fresh parchment, broom cleaner, and a cologne that she had forced herself to stop liking months ago.

She was only brought back to reality when a sudden pain went through her head. She grasped at Hermione's hand and then looked to see Ron and Harry fighting over a book. Hermione leaned over a little. 

"Don't let Harry use that book," Claire hissed. Hermione furrowed her eyebrows but nodded. The girl tried to grab the book but Slughorn started opening the cauldrons. Claire started gagging when he opened the first one and the aroma reached her. 

"Ah, Miss. Lupin. I see you did inherit some werewolf traits," Professor Slughorn announced when he noticed her discomfort. "You have a keen sense of smell. That revolt you feel is from the silver in this potion, the Draught of Living Death. The muggles believe that silver is the only thing that can kill a werewolf, which is false. However, it can make werewolves quite sick and the smell is said to be almost painful. Your mother almost passed out when I showed her this potion."

"Why don't you close the lid, professor?" Draco spoke up. Slughorn seemed to pay attention and saw that Claire was about to pass out herself. She felt lightheaded and sweaty, and her vision was swimming. The smell was so horrid that she had hid her nose in her elbow, which helped when she kept coughing at the stench. 

"Oh, yes, yes," Slughorn said, hurrying to close the cauldron. "This one is quite dangerous as well. One drop and any student would be put into a deep sleep that can only be reversed by the counterserum. For Miss. Lupin, it might just kill her."