mother's love

All consuming wasn't enough to describe the emotions rushing through Claire as she followed Snape to the Hospital Wing, Draco on a floating stretcher. All she could focus on was how limp and cold his hand was in hers and how shallow his breaths sounded. While Snape had closed some of the wounds, a trail of blood marked their hurried passage through the castle. Draco's pale skin looked deathlike and his hair looked like he could be a Weasley with the amount of blood soaking into it. The only thing that kept Claire from exploding was the faint heartbeat that she could feel in her own heart, showing that Draco was alive. 

She could feel the energy building up inside of her from anger and worry, ready to explode. Any inkling of her previous sickness was gone, instead replaced with nausea from anxiety. 

"Oh Merlin!"

Everything was moving a hundred miles per minute once they reached the Hospital Wing and Claire's hand was ripped from Draco's. The curtain was closed in her face before she could say anything, blocking him from her sight. 

"No!" Claire complained, trying to open the curtain. Snape threw the curtain back and Claire caught a glimpse of Draco, his eyes still closed as Madame Pomfrey started tending to his wounds. The curtain closed, once again blocking her view. The teenage girl turned her attention to the professor, glaring at him with as much force as she could. The man flinched at the look, his eyes flickering with an emotion that she couldn't read. "Let me to him."

"You need to breath," Snape said lowly, his hands gripping her shoulders so tightly that it almost hurt. "Look at yourself."

Claire looked down and saw that she was trembling and a glow was emitting from her body. The realization made her take a few deep breaths, closing her eyes before any tears could fall. She practiced slow and deep breaths until she could breath easily again, looking up at her godfather.

"He can't die," Claire choked out, the tears consuming her in an instant. Snape hesitantly wrapped his arms around her, both of them glad that no one else was in the Hospital Wing as she cried into his robes. 

"Haven't you seen his future?" Snape asked quietly. Claire sniffled and took a step back, her voice trembling as she revealed the truth.

"I see nothing."

-----------------------------

Harry was smart and stayed away from the Hospital Wing. Hermione had tried to come up but the nurse kept everyone out of the Hospital Wing except for the professors. Dumbledore and Snape had a whispered conversation, which was repeated when Remus and Sirius showed up. Claire had been asked to leave but she refused, choosing to sit by Draco's side instead, not letting go of his hand.

He was still paler than normal, but some color had come back to his skin. She had washed his hair so it was back to the blond that she loved. His shirt was off, showing her the many cuts all over his body. While most of them were closed, some would randomly break open and he would start bleeding again. Claire had never seen a spell that could cause so much damage, and she couldn't imagine how Harry could have known about it either. 

"I brought you some dinner."

Claire jumped a little at Sirius' voice. He sent her an apologetic smile and sat down next to her, handing her a tray with some soup and sandwiches on it. 

"I'm not hungry," Claire mumbled, her stomach turning at the idea of eating. Draco muttered something, making her hold her breath with the hope that he would wake up. Instead, his eyebrows furrowed and an expression of pain went over his face. She felt helpless when he grunted in pain.