The Rhodes Not Taken

a/n - trigger warning for mentions of eating disorders

Autumn laid flat on her back as she stared up at the ceiling of her room, a million thoughts swirling around in her mind. Like for starters, her aunt was faking being pregnant. She overheard her mom on the phone the other day and it slipped out.

Secondly was the deal she had made with her mom. She could only stay in Cheerios if she stayed on track with her recovery. She was never chubby as a kid, so when she was told by Sue that she needed to lose weight for Cheerios freshman year, she took things a little too far, resulting in her being sent to a rehabilitation center for eating disorders over summer break.

Sophomore year started, and things were going well. She was eating properly, and weight was the last thing on her mind. But then all the drama started. The thing with Puck, her weird friendship with Rachel, and Sue putting her, Santana, Quinn, and Brittany on the master cleanse.

Autumn took a deep breath and closed her eyes, picturing a future where she was happy and healthy.

"You are strong, you are beautiful, and you don't need to change for anyone," she whispered to herself. "You are perfect just the way you are."

"Whatcha doin' Auttie?" Stevie, her youngest brother, asked as he came into her room and jumped up onto her bed.

"Nothing, Stevie," Autumn said as she sat up.

"Is it getting bad again?" the redhead boy asked, his face dropping.

"I'm not gonna let it happen, buddy. I promise."

"Pinky promise?" Stevie asked, holding up his pinky.

"Pinky promise that, little guy," Autumn smiled, linking her pinky with her brother's. "What are Shiloah and Simon up to?"

"They tied mom and dad up and they're holding them hostage until they agree to let us get McDonalds for dinner."

"How is it that you're the youngest and more mature than your older brothers?" the brunette chuckled.

"I'm the good child!" the boy chirped. "Make me brownies," he added, glaring up at his sister.

"Only if you make them with me."

"Deal."

****

Autumn stared confusedly at the woman standing in front of them. She exchanged a look with Quinn and raised a brow.

"No idea," the blonde shrugged.

"Guys, I'd like to introduce you to someone very special," Mr. Schue said, getting everyone's attention. "This is April Rhodes. She's our newest member."

"You've got to be kidding me," Autumn mumbled in disbelief.

"Wait, so old people can join Glee Club now?" Finn asked confusedly.

"Old huh?" April scoffed. "You guys look like the world's worst Benetton ad."

"Mr. Schuester, this seems like a terrible idea," Artie spoke up.

"April is a great singer," Mr. Schue insisted. "And she never graduated."

"We appreciate what you're trying to do, but she's no Rachel," said Mercedes.

"Who's Rachel?" April asked.

"S-she's kind of our star," said Tina.

"Your star, eh? Well, where is she?"

"She left to be the lead in Cabaret," Autumn mumbled. To her surprise, she actually missed seeing the diva in the choir room every day.

"Hey, Tinkles," April said as she turned to Brad. "Give me Maybe This Time in B-flat. And don't let me catch you snoozing."