Duets

"All right, let's, uh, let's gather around," Mr. Schue said as he came into the choir room. "Sorry I'm late. I was with Principal Figgins." He sighed as he sat down. "Bad news, guys. Puckerman's in juvie."

"How did this not happen sooner?" Autumn asked.

"It really was just a matter of time," Tina agreed.

"What did he do?" Quinn asked.

"He drove his mom's Volvo through the front of a convenience store and drove off with the ATM," said Mr. Schue.

"Idiota," Naomi chuckled. "Anyone know how he made it to junior year?"

"When is he getting out?" Rachel asked.

"Unknown," Mr. Schue said, furrowing his brows.

"He might be the dumbest person on this planet, and that's coming from me," Brittany chuckled.

"Guys! Let's have some sympathy."

"For a guy who put his needs before the team's?" Finn scoffed. "We need his voice and his bad boy stage presence."

"We can't look at this as a crisis," said Mr. Schue. "It's an opportunity."

"For what?" Quinn asked. "Further embarrassment and humiliation?"

"For welcoming our new member... Sam Evans!"

A boy with blonde hair jogged into the choir room. He smiled dorkily at the class. "Hey, everybody. I'm Sam... Sam, I am... And I don't like green eggs and ham."

"Oh, wow," Santana sighed, shaking her head. "He has no game."

"Okay! This is gonna be great," Finn said as he got up and approached the blonde boy. "You're not going to regret joining, Sam."

Both boys sat down as Mr. Schue went over and wrote 'duet' on the board.

"Alright," the teacher began. "Question for the group. What's a duet?"

"A blanket," said Brittany.

"No, Britt, that's a duvet," Autumn said, sending her friend a small smile from the other side of the room.

"Yeah, that's what I said."

"A duet is when two voices join to become one," Mr. Schue explained. "Great duets are like a great marriage. The singers complement each other, push each other to be better. And that is what duets are all about. So, this week I want you to pair up and sing a duet. And, since you guys all seemed to love our little Defying Gravity diva-off, I'm making this a competition."

"What does the winner get?" Mike asked.

"Dinner for two, on me... at Breadstix."

Everyone gasped and exchanged excited looks with one another.

"Wait, Mr. Schue," Rachel spoke up as she looked around the room. "There's an uneven amount of people in the class."

"Oh, well, I guess we'll just have to have a group of three then," said Mr. Schue. "There. Problem solved."

Naomi sighed as everyone discussed who they were going to partner up with and what song they were going to sing. As expected, she was the odd one out.

Typical.

****

Rachel and Autumn were in the choir room rehearsing their duet, Don't Go Breaking My Heart. Their voices blended together in perfect harmony, much like their relationship.

"We're totally going to win this thing," Autumn said when the song was over.

"I know," Rachel mumbled, lowering her gaze as she sat down.